The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Monday, December 31, 2012

2012: A Retrospect





Where have you gone, 2012?  Welcome to the sixth installment of my yearly retrospective.  As cliche as it sounds, I can't believe how fast the years go by.  It's kinda scary.  I don't really have too many bad things to say about 2012.  Looking back on last year's piece, I may have been a bit too ambitious of where I would be.  I don't like to say I failed because I didn't, but I obviously didn't do as much I would have liked.  I went in the right direction in 2012 and that is probably the most important thing.

I got a job at LMU in February and it's nice to be working full time for the first time since 2008.  It's so nice to have financial comfort in my life.  I wouldn't say I'm very comfortable, but at least I can spoil myself every so often.  My job is whatever.  I like the people I work for, but I am very overqualified for my job.  Honestly, I don't work any where close to the 40 hours I get paid for.  I'm not complaining though.  I can't help it if I'm so efficient that I run out of things to do.  Yes, I know I'm bragging.

While I did look for more challenging endeavors, I didn't look too hard.  My independent college counseling venture took its first steps this year.  That's my main priority right now and all the free time in my full time job allows me to work on this opportunity.  I partnered up with Venice Arts to do the first "Time to Dream" presentation in October with a few of my friends from LMU.  It took about a year to set the whole thing up, so I was very happy how it turned out.  It went so well that we'll be back to do more work with them in 2013.  My friends from LMU that have helped me with this have been amazing and it's been a total team effort.  Plus, we have a few other things on our plate.  We've been talking to a high school and hopefully we can start charging people to use our services as well.  Yes, we're coming after you, residents of affluent Los Angeles communities.  My friend, Mary, and I have been working hard the last few months to try to make something happen.  As we've both been saying, "We at least have to try."

One of the biggest reasons why I am staying optimistic about this college counseling/consulting is due to my new perspective on life about thinking anything is possible.  Why?  Well, I think running two marathons has really changed me in a lot of ways.  I'll never be a fast runner or even a great one, but no one can ever take away from me that I am a marathoner.  It's cool to think that I can say I ran a marathon and I have the medals to prove it.  I never thought that would be possible.  I have a lot of great memories from running marathons and I'll never forget them.  As much as it sucks at times, crossing that finish line is indescribable.  I enjoyed the experience so much that I am running the LA Marathon again in March.

While I'm on the subject of sports, it was a frustrating year in Boston sports.  The Patriots made the Super Bowl again.  And, they lost to the Giants again.  That one definitely hurt as they probably should have won.  As I said right after the Super Bowl and I'll say it again, "Fuck the Giants!"  The Patriots once again prepare for another playoff run and good news the Giants are out of the playoffs.  On a side note, I went to my first Patriots game on January 1st, which was fun.  It was nice to be able to say I saw Tom Brady play at least once.  The Bruins failed to repeat as Stanley Cup champs as they bowed out in the first round and the Celtics lost in the eastern conference finals.  While the C's overachieved, I thought the B's really choked.  They should have at least made it out of the first round.  Sadly, that's the last game of hockey they played in 2012 as the NHL is once again in a lock out.  Hopefully, they can figure something out soon or the entire season will be canceled again.  As for the Red Sox, I'm not even going to waste my time.  It was their worst record since 1965.  They were a bunch of bums!

While I am on the topic of frustration, I can't forget about Paul Thomas Anderson's latest film, The Master.  As much as I love PTA, I was underwhelmed and disappointed with his film.  I still need to see it again, but I doubt it will change my opinion much.  I am curious to see how his next film (probably Inherent Vice) will turn out.  Although, I may have to wait until 2014 or even 2015.

Obama winning re-election was one of the more positive events to happen.  Yeah the guy hasn't been perfect, but I would still rather go down with him, then ever align myself with the Republicans.  I do truly think he wants to move this country forward and I hope his second term exceeds his first in every area.  He still has the ability to be a great president.

In my free time, I continue to volunteer at Venice Arts.  I feel very fortunate that I have found an organization I can volunteer for and enjoy the work I do.  Volunteering is a great way to spend time and give back.  It's also the only time I ever get to use my filmmaking skills these days.  Yes, I left the film industry four years ago, but I never wanted to leave entirely.   I have done nothing recently and it's my fault.  I'll admit it.  Although, I would still like to do some producing or work on some projects.  My creative juices are still flowing throughout my body.  I hope I can get my hands dirty with making a movie, web series, or even a sketch next year.  I'm available and I'm willing to work for food.

The wedding bells are also starting to ring as I feel like more people I know are either getting married or engaged.  Maybe, it's my age, but I can't help thinking of myself and if I will ever get there as well.  My cousin, Andrew, got married in June.  My other cousin, Matt, got engaged in February and will get married next October.  My sister, Lori, got engaged in August and will get married August 2014.  And I can't forget about my friend, Julian, who got engaged in September.  His marriage date is to be determined.  The point is love is in the air and I need to start budgeting for weddings.  Hopefully, some of this love will enter my life, but who knows.  As Kevin Garnett famously said, "Anything is possible!"

I wanted to end with this college workshop and its prospects.  On a professional level, it's the most important thing I've done in the last year.  Arguably, the most important thing I've done in the last few years.  The goal this year was to pilot it out and see how everything went.  Now, it's time to go one step further and get serious.  That's where I am right now on this New Year's Eve.  2013 will be a make or break year for me.  It's possible this college consulting business could fail, but it's also possible it could take off.  I've got a couple ideas that will hopefully make us stand out more.  Plus, we're young and hungry.  There's no more excuses.

You only live once and I didn't get a Master's degree to be an administrative assistant.  For that reason, I'm posting this video from the late Alan Watts.  I just discovered it this year and it quickly became my favorite video of the year.  It inspires me, reminds me to dream big, and follow your passions.  It's my philosophy for 2013.


Happy New Year,

Mikey Filmmaker

12/31/12

No comments: