The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Saturday, March 17, 2012

LA Marathon Training Diary: One Day Away

I realize that I haven't posted in a month regarding my training. In the last month, we have essentially been in taper mode. In the last three weeks of training, I've run 14 miles, 6 miles, and 6 miles. The goal has been to keep the legs fresh for the marathon, but also not completely stop training. Of course, no one wants to get injured, so we haven't been working too hard.

I never realized how much mental toughness is needed for the weeks leading up to the race. Maybe it's because it's my first time, but I've become a bit paranoid. I don't want to mess up six months of training. This last week has been especially difficult since I really don't want to do anything stupid. I've been trying to eat right (carbo load) and I haven't gone out unless I have to go to the store to buy food.

The other issue I've had is the weather tomorrow is not going to be ideal. Earlier in the week it looked like it was going to rain during the entire race. Now, it looks like it may have a couple showers, but otherwise should be fine. It's been a very unproductive work week for me as I could not stop checking the weather or not worry about the rain.

The one positive about the rain is that I ran really well in the rain a couple months ago when we did 15 miles. While every run is different, I look back to that for confidence to say I can run well if it does rain.

At the end of the day, I'm ready to run well in any condition. I feel really good going into the race and I think it's going to be a lot of fun. I met with my co-worker, who happens to be a very accomplished marathoner (former world record holder, '73 Boston winner, and winner of multiple other marathons) and she told me I was going to do great. That means a lot.

The energy and the positive nature of group 8 all week has also been great. At least no one publicly is freaking out about the rain. We've all trained so hard the last six months and tomorrow is the payoff. I have no idea how it's going to feel, but I can't wait. I'm running a marathon tomorrow.

No comments: