The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

LA Marathon Training Diary: Half Way There

February 18, 2012 - 13.1 miles (Marathon Race Pace)
This was technically a cut back week, but it didn't feel like it. Part of that reason was that this was a marathon race pace run, so we were running miles a minute faster than usual. For my pace group that means we were running 11 minutes a mile. After last week, I definitely was excited to see how my body would respond and how well I would run.

Overall, I felt pretty good on the run. Blisters are still driving me crazy, but I've somewhat accepted that is part of running long distances. I've got a hot spot right now on the bottom of my right foot. I'm also starting to really not like running in the median on San Vicente. The roots are killing my ankles. I have weak ankles to begin with, but I'm always nervous I may slip and hurt myself. That would be horrible, so I'm very careful during that part of the run. That is what made last week interesting since we were running faster than usual. It made that part of the run a little more challenging.

While one minute faster is a big difference, I didn't notice as much as I thought. The key is not looking at my Garmin every two minutes. It's a bad habit. My legs held up pretty well and I definitely thought like I had something left in the tank at the end of 13.1 miles. In the back of my mind I'm a little nervous since I know that on Marathon Sunday I need to keep this pace for another 13.1 miles. I need to do everything I can to stick with the group for as long as possible.

Next week is the last big run of training before we taper in the weeks leading up to the marathon. It's unbelievable to think, but it is less than a month away. The time has really flown. It's exciting and scary at the same time, but I feel like I'm ready. At this point, there is really no backing down.

Until next week... 16 miles...

No comments: