The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Friday, January 15, 2010

Critics Choice and Golden Globes Thoughts

If there's one good thing about the Oscars in March this year, it's that I'll have time to redeem myself and my lack of blogging this season. Honestly, it's just that life is busier than usual for me right now. I've just got so much going on right now that I don't have enough time to blog. Actually the last two Oscar seasons I've been unemployed and it made being an Oscar blogger my full time free job. I've written this probably a few times this season, but I apologize. I'm going to try to do my best especially once Oscar nominations are announced in early February.

As for the Critics Choice awards, which are tonight and the Golden Globes, which are Sunday, I'll be posting simply reactions. I'm actually working through both events, so there will be no live blog. Here's just a few thoughts concerning both award shows.

BFCA (Critics Choice) Thoughts:
- I expect The Hurt Locker to do well here. It's the critics darling and is a serious Oscar contender. It's actually one of the few big contenders I haven't seen yet. The others being Invictus and Precious. I still question whether a film like this can win the top prize at the Oscars, but a win here will definitely present it to the masses as this is a televised awards show.

- Avatar and Up in the Air could struggle here, but it will not be the end of the world for either film. I could easily see Clooney lose Best Actor to Jeff Bridges as Bridges is more of a critics friendly performance.

- I have no idea who is going to win Best Actress. I'm leaning towards Carey Mulligan. Call it a hunch.

Quick Predix:
Best Picture - The Hurt Locker
Best Director - Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker
Best Actor - Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart
Best Actress - Carey Mulligan, An Education
Best Supporting Actor - Christopher Waltz, Inglourious Basterds
Best Supporting Actress - Mo'Nique, Precious
Best Cast - Inglourious Basterds
Best Adapted Screenplay - Up in the Air
Best Original Screenplay - Inglourious Basterds

Golden Globe Thoughts:

- Avatar should show up at these awards. I'm going to try to do an updated Oscar predictions post shortly after the Globes and Avatar may land in the top position. While the Globes aren't the best Oscar predictor, I just think this film is too much of an achievement not to make a major splash. The Globes could be the first step.

- The musical/comedy winner is a tough one. I like (500) Days the best, but can it win something like this? I say no. Like many years the winner of this award is usually not a serious Oscar contender. It's almost like a throwaway prize.

- The Best Director should award season is going to be fun to watch. Why? James Cameron and Kathryn Bigelow were married and are now divorced. I'm not sure if they are on good terms, but it's going to be fun especially if they go back and forth on victories. I'm picking Cameron at the Globes.

- Clooney should bounce back after the BFCA and win Best Actor. Up in the Air should do better in general. The drama prize is so tough this year. If it wins on Sunday night, then this film makes a big statement going into the guild awards.

- I'm sticking with Mulligan for Best Actress. It's the Hollywood Foreign Press and this is an English film. I think they'll eat it up and how can you not love Carey Mulligan?

- Meryl Streep should win a Globe, but what role will it be? I'm guessing Julie & Julia. Let's just hope she doesn't cancel herself out.

- Mo'Nique should also benefit from Vera Farmiga and Anna Kendrick both getting nominated. This could be a problem for the Up in the Air girls come Oscar time. Mo'Nique was probably the frontrunner anyway, but her path to Oscar glory gets easier with them both being nominated. At the Globes we'll find out if this is the case. I think it will be.

Quick Predix:
Best Picture, Drama - Avatar
Best Picture, Musical/Comedy - Julie & Julia
Best Director - James Cameron, Avatar
Best Actor, Drama - George Clooney, Up in the Air
Best Actor, Musical/Comedy - Daniel Day-Lewis, Nine
Best Actress, Drama - Carey Mulligan, An Education
Best Actress, Musical/Comedy - Meryl Streep, Julie & Julia
Best Supporting Actor - Christopher Waltz, Inglourious Basterds
Best Supporting Actress - Mo'Nique, Precious
Best Screenplay - Inglourious Basterds

No comments: