The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Moments That Defined a Decade: 2008, 2009

Patriots Lose Super Bowl XLII and Perfect Season
Date: February 3, 2008
Backstory of The Moment: The Patriots were 18-0 and were one win away from 19-0 and a perfect season. They would be the first team to ever do it and first undefeated team since the '72 Dolphins. They faced the New York Giants in the big game.
The Moment: The Patriots take a late 14-10 lead, but can't hold off the Giants. They march down the field and score a touchdown with 35 seconds remaining. They win 17-14 and the 18-1 chants begin.
Looking Back at The Moment Now: This is one moment I still can't believe happened this decade. I just can't believe the Patriots blew this game. I was reading Sports Illustrated the other day and it still named the Patriots the best NFL team this decade. I somewhat agree, but it's a bitter feeling. I've never seen a team as dominate as them. They were unbeatable and it was fitting that they were going for 19-0. I don't know if you will ever see a team do that. To paraphrase something Bill Simmons wrote shortly after the loss, if this team didn't do it, then probably no one will.

It's still shocking that they lost since if they played the Giants 100 times, they would probably win 99 times. Like SB XXXVI, the lesser team simply played a better game that day. It sucks. It will always suck. The game shouldn't have even been close, yet the Pats let the Giants stick around. That final drive is just ridiculous and I've never seen an athlete (Eli Manning) and team (Giants) with a bigger horseshoe up their ass. They caught every break and the Pats couldn't capitalize on anything from dropped interceptions, 4th down, and of course the great escape/helmt catch play. The pain from this one never really goes away. Just like the '86 World Series. The losses are too huge. You just have to not think about them. Sadly, now I'm thinking about it. Thanks to this post.



Auntie Tina Dies
Date: February 27, 2008
Backstory of The Moment: My Aunt Tina was my maternal grandmother's sister. She babysat my sister and I when we were growing up. In September 2006, she had a stroke and went into a nursing home.
The Moment: After a couple years in the nursing home, she had a heart attack and died at 86.
Looking Back at The Moment Now: While we all knew that Auntie Tina could die any day, it was still a bit shocking. It was tough and hit me a lot harder than when Nana died. Auntie Tina asked me to give the eulogy at her funeral and I thought I wrote a pretty good speech. I didn't break down or anything even though I was crying at parts. I still miss her and I still cherish the memories I shared with her and my sister growing up during the summer months. Whether it be playing games or watching Jerry Springer. Haha.



First Day at IE
Date: April 10, 2008
Backstory of The Moment: I interview for this job back in November 2007. The WGA strike happened. The strike ended in February. After a few months of following up, I was finally interviewed again.
The Moment: I met with Steven from HR and Jess, one of the managers, and was finally offered my first job in the entertainment industry.
Looking Back at The Moment Now: I'm still proud of this moment as it was a long struggle to finally get to job. It was the beginning of my seven month stay at IE. Obviously, it didn't work out like I wanted it to and by the summer things were going downhill fast. Still, I have some fun memories from there from meeting the likes of Corey Haim and Jeff Goldblum as well as talking to all kinds of people on the phone such as Sam Worthington and Zach Braff.

I was put into a couple tough positions while there and had my back against the wall. If I could do it again, I would have never accepted a full time assistant job from two of the managers there. It just killed me and led to me quitting. It's also funny to think that things could have went much differently if one of assistants got another job. He wanted to leave and get another gig. He was interviewing, but never got anything. I was supposed to take his desk, which was for two really nice and productive lit managers. If that happened, I still may very well be working there. I'm not and believe it or not, that guy is still their assistant. That's life I guess.



Celtics Win NBA Title
Date: June 17, 2008
Backstory of The Moment: The Celtics are the NBA's most storied franchise. They won 16 NBA titles, but in the '90s they became one of the worst teams in the league. That continued for most of the '00s. Then, Danny Ainge traded for both Ray Allen and Kevin Garnett in separate trades to team with Paul Pierce to form a new big three. The Celtics went from like a 20 win team in 06-07 to a 60 win team in 07-08. They faced the the LA Lakers in the finals.
The Moment: The Celtics beat the Lakers in game six of the finals in dominating fashion and won their 17th NBA title.
Looking Back at The Moment Now: This title was weird because who would have thought they could win it all after being so crappy the previous year. It was a complete 180. Plus, Ainge gave up over half the roster for two guys. It seemed rather crazy for a while until everyone realized how good this team became with KG and Allen. It was fun that the Celts faced the Lakers and I'm glad they won the title in Boston. Finally, the TD Garden has a moment that it can call its own. The building has been around for almost 15 years and it really lacks a classic moment. Them winning the title changed that.

This was probably my least memorable title of the decade as I simply don't like basketball as much as the other three sports. It was just nice that the city of Boston could rebound after that horrible Pats loss in the Super Bowl. It didn't erase the pain, but it was a great short term fix.



81st Annual Oscars
Date: February 22, 2009
Backstory of The Moment: I was living very close to the Kodak Theater and was running an Oscar blog. I vowed it would be my best year.
The Moment: I covered the Oscars like it was nobody's business in 2009 and capped it off with an unbelievable 22 out of 24 correct picks. Thus I broke my previous record of 21/24 that I set three years earlier.
Looking Back at The Moment Now: This happened less than a year ago, but I called this the greatest Oscars ever. From my coverage to setting the record to living so close, it was just fun. With the next Oscars coming up sooner than later, I'm starting to wish I still lived in Hollywood. It was a lot of fun and I'm going to miss it. Plus, the show was also very well done. It was like the perfect storm of the Oscars. It may never be duplicated.



Accepted into Grad School
Date: March 25, 2009
Backstory of The Moment: I left IE in November. I was thinking of numerous things to do. Do I get another entertainment job? Or do I something much more radical?
The Moment: I went with something more radical. I went on an interview for LMU's school counseling program. I was accepted on the spot.
Looking Back at The Moment Now: I wanted something that gives me flexibility and options to still pursue a career in film while balancing it with something more stable. Ideally, I want to be like a renaissance man, who is great at more than one thing. A modern day Ted Williams if you will. Will it happen? Well, we will find out in the '10s. Like every moment in 2009 and even to a lesser extent '08, it's hard to look back on these moments as they happened so recently. I just finished my first semester and go straight A's. Let me just put it this way, I don't have any regrets on my decision regardless of how fucking crazy my friends and family think I am.



McCartney IV
Date: August 5, 2009
Backstory of The Moment: I had seen Paul three times before and he decided to do a mini summer tour in the US. One stop was the legendary Fenway Park.
The Moment: My Dad and I got tickets and Paul put on another amazing show in front of the green monster.
Looking Back at The Moment Now: It's Paul McCartney. What else is there to say? The guy's the best around. He never gets old and all four times I've seen him, he's put on a show that leaves you wanting more. It's even more amazing to think that Paul is 67 years old. Doesn't look or feel it. I hope I get a chance to see him in the '10s, but if I don't then I will be perfectly content with all four times I've seen him. This one being the second best after the Amoeba show.

No comments: