The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009: A Retrospect

I think I start out every year retrospect with the same sentence. Where have you gone (insert year here)? So, without further ado, where have you gone 2009? Seriously, a year is really such a small amount of time when you think about it. Still, when I look back on a year I realize how much happens in such little time. The good and the bad always happen no matter what year it is. 2009 is no different. Every year is a test for everyone. Some years are definitely better than others, but as long as we survive we should hold our head high and smile even a little. That's how I feel in 2009.

Honestly, this year was better than 2008 and arguably better than 2007. Looking at those retrospective posts, I feel much better about myself now. Maybe part of that has to do with the fact that a new decade is also upon us, but I feel more hopeful and positive as we enter 2010. There's definitely things to still be accomplished, but I could be a lot worse. Let's take a look back.

This year has arguably been one of the more uneventful ones in recent memory. I made what some people would say is a questionable choice and am getting my masters degree in school counseling. After going to one of the top film schools in the country to get my BFA it's understandable to be scratching your head. All I can say is I made a choice that I felt was the best thing to do.

My film career is far from over and 2009 was just small proof of that. I did produce two web series this year. One I produced much more than the other, but the other one is still technically only beginning with one episode filmed so far. I'm hopeful that 2010 my friends and I can get the ball moving on it. The one that I produced more should hopefully hit the web in 2010 and I'm intrigued by its possibilities.

While I clearly don't blog as much as I used to, I thought this year's Oscar coverage was damn good and probably the best I'll ever do. Living right next to the Kodak was so much fun during Oscar season. It's something I won't forget and as the Oscars approach in 2010, I know I will miss it. I set my personal Oscar record this past year. I predicted an amazing 22/24 categories and I still can't believe it. I ended up winning numerous Oscar pools, which was also really cool. It will be hard to top 22/24 in the coming years, but it's a good goal and one I'm willing to try to surpass.

I got to see Paul McCartney for the fourth time at Fenway Park. Even as Paul ages, he still puts on a phenomenal show. I got to see the show with my Dad and it became another moment I'm glad I got to share with him. McCartney at Amoeba is still number one, but this show quickly became number two. Seeing Paul rock in front of the Green Monster is one of those images I can't get out of my head.

It was a quiet year for Boston sports. The Bruins fell in seven games to the Carolina Hurricanes in the second round of the playoffs. It was a great seventh game and it hurt to watch the Canes score one in overtime to knock out the B's. The Celtics also fell in seven games to the Orlando Magic in the second round. The Sox got knocked out in the first round and the Patriots are gearing up for a postseason run in 2010. While there may not have been anymore championships, it's hard not to step back and still realize it was a fun year to be a fan. I hope the end of the decade is not the end to the golden age of Boston sports.

Of course, grad school was a big change for me. Getting back into the academic mode was tougher than I thought and I struggled a little every in the semester. After a couple weeks though, I regrouped and it became a positive experience. I even somehow managed to get A's in both my classes. Grad school has taught me a lot about myself and made me evaluate myself. I think it's made me a better person. I also got to meet some nice people, too. They are much different than film school people. That's both good and bad, but times are changing and I hope to have room for both groups in my life.

Personally, I've made some other good strides in other areas of my life. I'm still looking for the one, but I think she's closer than I want to admit. I feel like I am going in the right direction and I hope something happens in the near future. I feel like that is the final piece of the puzzle.

2009 is almost like a transitional year. It may have been uneventful, but it laid a foundation for what I hope is a great 2010 and new decade. I'm 24 years old and there's still time to shock the whole world. Now, only time will tell.

Happy New Year,
Mikey Filmmaker
12/31/2009

No comments: