The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Friday, August 28, 2009

California - Five Years Later

Editor's Note: I had this ready to post on August 17, 2009 (five year anniversary), but I recently moved. I still have a very shaky internet connection and simply haven't posted this due to time constraints. I'm sorry, but I can't blog from Starbucks. It's too distracting. Anyway, here is this post, 11 days late...


Five years ago today, I was on a plane. It was the first time I was flying somewhere with only a one way ticket. Yes, I headed to California to attend college on this very day five years ago. It has become one of the defining days of my life. A fitting end to one chapter and a beginning to another. My life would really never be the same after August 17, 2004.

So much has changed in five years. Some good. Some bad. I lost friends. I made friends. I had triumphs. I had failures. That's life I guess. Still, I don't regret anything. It's still the best decision I have ever made. In retrospect, one that was not easy to do. Leaving one coast for another is a bold move. If in life, you're defined by the bold moves you take, then I would to take as many as possible. It's just how I want to live.

Believe me, I have done some things in the last five years that has probably made people scratch their heads. Hell, I'm going back to school to become a guidance counselor. Would have never believed that if you told me that five years ago.

I have a vision for the future that I mostly keep to myself. I have a plan and if it works out, then I think it will be the ultimate path to happiness. The plan is to balance my career as an independent producer with my career in education. In the grand scheme of things, it makes sense. Trust me.

I'm thankful I've met some great people out here. People I actually consider true friends. Didn't have too many of those back in Peabody, so it's refreshing to know I have people here in LA, who I genuinely call a friend.

I also am grateful that I have such strong support from all my family back home. When things have been rough, they have been there for me. They set the bar so high that the chances of me being that way with my kids and grandkids will not be an easy task.

While "The Dream" constantly evolves and changes through the days, months, and years since I first left five years ago, I still haven't given up. The Dream is whatever you want it to be. That's what is so great about it and that's why I still have hope that it's not over. It's never over until you're dead and buried.

Here I am, five years later and in a couple weeks I begin grad school. Possibly a new chapter in my life. I have absolutely no idea what to expect, but part of me likes that. To quote a line from Risky Business, "Sometimes you gotta say, what the fuck and make your move."

I'm not sure what the next five years holds, but, "What the fuck. I'm ready to make my move."

Keep dreaming, my readers, keep dreaming...

1 comment:

Encore Entertainment said...

Nice post. Surprisingly poignant. It's always good going out and doing something different.