The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Sunday, May 31, 2009

The End of an Era: Farewell Hollywood

My apologies for not being around the last week. I've actually been fairly busy packing. Yes, yours truly is moving again. This is one of those posts that will be fun to write, but part of me wishes I didn't have to write it. I have this love/hate relationship with Hollywood. There is no middle ground here.

I moved here back in May 2008. I was living in Glendale and was sick of it. I knew I would have to get a studio/single, so I decided to look for somewhere closer to the city. I wanted to be in the middle of the action. West Hollywood near Sunset is a lot of fun, but it was too expensive. The beach was also too expensive. Hollywood seemed like a logical choice. It was.

Contrary to popular belief, celebrities don't live in Hollywood. Actually, most movies aren't in made in Hollywood. No studio is located in this section of the city. There are some production companies, but that's it. It dirty and at times creepy. For a kid that grew up in suburbs outside Boston and went to college in a conservative old town in Orange County, this is what I always wanted. I wanted that culture shock. And trust me, you get one here.

Here are some memories I have from the past 13 months.

The Cast of Characters:

Hollywood Superman
My neighbor happens to be the self proclaimed first character on Hollywood Blvd. He dresses up as Superman and has been doing it since the early 90s. The guy is quite the character literally.

"Rolling My Cigarettes" Spider-Man
This guy is just creepy. He takes breaks and rolls cigarettes, then takes pictures with little kid. Easily my favorite Spider-Man for that reason.

Ugly "Sexy" Cop
Someone should tell this girl that she is ugly. She wears one of those Halloween costumes. She also is great for getting pissed off if people don't tip her. I usually wouldn't complain if a girl was wearing a sexy outfit, but this girl is just not very attractive.

"Old Ass" Marilyn
Similar to the cop, this woman needs to quit. She may look like Marilyn a little, but it's still a stretch. I have no idea why anyone would want to take a picture with her considering that there are better looking Monroes hanging around Hollywood Blvd.

Elvis and His Bitch
This tag team always cracks me up. This guy dresses half ass like Elvis and his significant other just simply stands by his side and doesn't know what to do. She just wears a mask and looks confused. It's one of those things you have to see for yourself.

"Always There" Jack Sparrow
It seems like no matter what time I walked down Hollywood, I always saw this Sparrow. I think he lives in his car or something because he's always there. Sad thing is that he isn't even the best Captain Jack.

Love Jesus Man
This guy technically isn't a character, but he simply stands at the corner of Hollywood and Highland and talks to himself about how Jesus is coming. I don't think anyone listens to him, but it's funny since he will start to ask you if you are going to Heaven.

Unforgettable Scenes:

Jesus Walks Out of a Bus
This was one of the funniest things I have ever seen. I was walking down Hollywood Blvd. and a bus stops. A guy dressed up as Jesus walks out of the bus and walks down the street. Only in Hollywood would you see that. It was like it happens all the time.

Taking Scientology Test
I took this test as a joke. Scientologists are an odd group of people. The girl that gave me my test insisted that I buy Dianetics and give it to my boss. She said it would help her not be a bitch. I declined.

Halloween
It's not as cool as West Hollywood, but Hollywood does have an exciting scene on Halloween. A lot of people come out and dress up. It was fun to walk around and simply observe what the hell was going on.

Annoying Ass Premieres
Premieres are cool the first time you see one in action, but after the 50th one, I had seen enough. The Chinese is actually the biggest theatre for premieres in Los Angeles. There is at least one a week it seems. Some are bigger than others. Some even close the entire street down. Creates major chaos and traffic is horrible. Something I won't miss.

John Lennon Memorial
I consider Hollywood Blvd's Walk of Fame to be somewhat of a cemetery to the stars. It's actually really unique and I think it's one of the coolest things about Hollywood. "Touristy" or not, I enjoy it. If there is one star that always attracts attention on his birth and death, it's John Lennon. I attended his memorial on December 8th and it was worth it. A lot of people were there and it was a nice tribute. Say what you will about Lennon and The Beatles, but their influence is so strong that their fans are extremely loyal. This memorial is just more proof.

The Greatest Oscars Ever
Do I really need to explain? Next year's Oscars is going to be different in a lot of ways. I've said this multiple times, but this past's Oscars will always have a special place in my heart. Not only did I set my personal record with 22 wins, but also got to see the whole event unfold in my eyes. For an Oscar lover like myself, you can't ask for anything more.

So, why am I moving? Simply can't afford this place as I head back to school. I need a cheaper living situation. Plus, my neighbors were starting to annoy me too much. The demographic at my place is college aged kids (many attend the Music Institute). It goes in spurts, but it can get loud and unpleasant.

I don't regret living here though. Maybe not the smartest financial decision, but I'm 24. If there was a time to live here in Hollywood, this is it. I walked down Hollywood Blvd. on Saturday night for the last time, listening to my iPod in shuffle mode, and The Rolling Stones' You Can't Always Get What You Want" came on. I thought this was fitting end to this era in my life.

Formerly Known as "The ONLY Oscar Blogger who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!"

1 comment:

syam said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.