The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Monday, April 6, 2009

Rourke Makes Appearance at WrestleMania XXV

Mickey Rourke didn't win an Oscar, but that didn't stop the actor from making his much anticipated appearance at WrestleMania X XV last night. As most of you know, I'm a wrestling fan. I don't follow it as much as I did growing up, but I still regularly check out many of the websites and whatnot.

Originally, Rourke was going to wrestle Chris Jericho, but backed out after realizing it may not bet the best career decision. I actually was disappointed, but also didn't blame him. This is a guy that just got back in the business and he could potentially screw it up after one film. From the advice of his management team, he decided to separate himself from wrestling during the Oscar season (even though he still lost the Oscar to Sean Penn).

I do give him props for still making an appearance at the biggest PPV of the year. Rourke even went into the ring and punched out Jericho. I personally would have preferred a ram jam on Jericho, but I guess that was asking for too much. There's actually a good chance that Rourke would have probably killed himself climbing up to the top rope.

I know this isn't a wrestling blog, but let me just say that last night's PPV was a hit and miss show for me. Shawn Michaels and The Undertaker put on one of the greatest wrestling matches of all time last night. One that exceeded literally everyone's expectations. If I was in attendance I probably would be calling it the best ever. I have to watch it again and see where it really stands. All I know is that a match like that can make anyone a wrestling fan as it was 30 minutes of pure excitement.

Otherwise, the show was mediocre for me. The two title matches (especially the main event) failed to live up to expectations. Then again, both matches had to follow the instant classic of HBK-Taker.

WrestleMania XXVI is actually going to be in Glendale, AZ next year. I'm seriously thinking of making the trip. It would be my third WM (14 and 21). Though, part of me is not looking forward to going to the University of Phoenix stadium and being in the same building that the Pats lost Super Bowl XLII. It's like seeing an ex-girlfriend again. A lot of bad memories. Haha.

No comments: