The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Oscar Hangover and Other Thoughts

I'm not going to lie, I've had a bit of an Oscar hangover the last two months. The weeks and months after the Oscars are always tough. It's way too early to talking about serious contenders with any relevant analysis. That is partly the reason that my posting always radically decreases after the Oscars end.

This has made me think of some other exciting things to do with this blog. 31 Days of Moustache was one of those ideas. I hope some people enjoyed that and I thought it was a success. It was a little tiring at times, but I made it. I would like to do that running feature again, but I will probably be taking off next year since the Oscars are actually going into March. I do hope to take another look at great moustaches in 2011 (that's so far away).

Many people may want to know why I don't write film reviews. Well, it's real simple. Everyone and their brother does film reviews. I'm not saying people should stop, but I find it to be a little repetitive. I do read a couple film blogs that do reviews, it's just not something I want to participate in on a regular basis.

That leaves me to give you a preview of some other features I've been thinking about.

Top Ten Tuesdays
Like reviews, lists are repetitive. I just think you can do more with them and have more flexibility. I also feel like a weekly feature could benefit my readership. The goal of these lists will be to give people an greater insight on my opinions in (primarily) movies, music, and even some sports (just for fun). This will be somewhat similar to my Movie Collection Series. I liked this series, but I've actually sold almost 50 dvds in the last year. I still have a decent amount, but my collection has limited my choices.

I'm not entirely sure when this will be started, but it should be starting sooner rather than later.

L.O.C.K.
L.O.C. stands for "Legit Oscar Contender". This will be an ongoing series that I will probably start in the summer (thinking late June/early July). I will look at prospective Oscar films for the upcoming year. I'll look at what nominations each film can expect and how strong of a contender it really is. The sole purpose of this series is to keep the Oscar tone of this blog even in the awards offseason.

Films That Defined a Decade
This decade is almost over. Sometimes I can't believe it. I want to revisit some of my favorite films of the past decade that impacted me in some way. I will probably be starting this also soon. I think I'm also going to do a random order by drawing films in a hat. I know there could be possibly be a couple 2009 films that make this feature, but I plan to run it into 2010. I will probably only be doing one or two films a week.

Moments of a Decade
The 2000s are the first decade that I fully appreciated. I was born in 1985 and I didn't keep good records of what I did when I was seven or nine years old. The first half of the 90s is somewhat forgettable for me. This decade is much different. I was 14 when it began and will be 24 when it ends. This will be a series that will look at moments that I was involved in and moments that I simply witnessed. If you really want to know a lot about Mikey Filmmaker, then this feature will be for you.

I'm actually really excited about this and it will be done in chronological order. I have exact dates for everything. It will also be looking at the good, the bad, and the ugly. Probably do one or two moments a week. I'm thinking that the start date will be June 1, 2009. A day after my 24th birthday (hint, hint).

30 Days of Beatles
Similar to 31 Days of Moustache, this will be a massive look at The Beatles. I'm actually probably going to make this a blog-a-thon. This will be happening in April 2010 (40th anniversary of their break-up), but I'm so excited about it that I'm writing about it now.

Oscar Buzzmeter (still working on a better name)
I still don't know how I'm going to do this, but I want to do badly for this upcoming Oscar season. I will seek assistance from other Oscar enthusiasts. We will try to provide a resource for people and hopefully our combined knowledge will lead many people to victories in their Oscar pools. This will probably not start until the fall since at this point in the year, it's a crap shoot.

No comments: