The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

First Film from 2009: Adventureland

We have a winner in my annual contest of "The First Film Mikey Filmmaker Sees in the Theater". It'sAdventureland.

It has taken me only until late April, but I've finally seen my first film released in 2009. Most of you are probably trying to figure out why it has taken me so long. I'm not really sure. Almost saw Watchmen, but didn't. Still would like to catch I Love You, Man. Other than that, nothing has really caught my attention yet for me to say, "I need to see this in the theater."  I'm popping my cherry on 2009 in film and I want it to be a good film.  I hope you understand.

I'm not going to write a full review for this film, but I thoroughly enjoyed Adventureland. This was the sophomore effort from Greg Mottola (Superbad) and he came through. Some people I've talked to said they didn't really like this film, but not me. Honestly not sure why you wouldn't like it. Yes, it's not Superbad, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Other Quick Thoughts:

- I have to say that the soundtrack of this film was "totally awesome". They really used the 80s music well. Even prominentaly featured was Falco's Rock Me Amadeus, which is a fun and catchy tune. Also, had The Cure, Bowie, and even INXS. I'm more of a 60s music guy, but I still love the nostaglia of the 70s and 80s.

- Jesse Eisenberg did a respectable job of carrying this film.  This could be his big break as he hasn't really done that many films.  His character at times reminded me of myself and I think that is part of the reason I liked this film so much.

- Kristen Stewart made me forget she was in Twilight. I was not a fan of that film, but maybe I should give it another shot. Her stock is quickly rising in Hollywood.

- Bill Hader is just a great supporting actor. I don't think he can legitimately carry a film, but he is a great scene stealer. It may not be as glamourous, but that's not a bad thing either.

I actually got a free popcorn coupon that is only good on Wednesday at AMC theaters, so maybe I'll check out I Love You, Man next week. Need to start to seriously catch up. The summer is coming and the movies are finally starting to get good.

Yippee!

3 comments:

Fletch said...

Yeah, you picked a good flick for your first of the year. It's my favorite so far in 2009. And I don't get why people are hating on it either. Whatever - their loss.

Oh, and I think this is Mottola's third film (at least). He made The Daytrippers in the 90s, which I wanted to see long ago, forgot about, and now want to see again.

Mikey Filmmaker said...

Good call on that. I just quickly looked at his imdb page and must have missed it.

Mikey Filmmaker said...

Oh, and I forgot to write this, but I think this could make my top 10 depending on what kind of a year 2009 is for film. I could see it in the 7-10 ranking. We'll see.