The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Sunday, March 8, 2009

31 Days of Moustache: Frank Zappa


Name: Frank Zappa
DOB: December 21, 1940
DOD: December 4, 1993
Profession: Musician
Claim to Fame: Produced and recorded over 60 albums in many different genres
Prime YAM (Years Active with Moustache): 70s

Why It's Awesome:
Frank Zappa literally scares the shit out of me. Part of the reason for this was his moustache. I also knew a guy that looked just like him and that guy was an asshole, so that may be another reason why. That's another story though.

Zappa is one of those great musicians, that everyone knows who he is, but have no idea what songs he did. I'll admit I also don't know that much about him. He was never very commercial. Check out one of his better known songs, Cosmik Debris (see above video).

His work was critically praised as he is in both the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and won the Grammy Lifetime Achievement award both after his premature death. Sadly, he died of prostate cancer at the age of 52. I can proudly say that Zappa kept his 'stache right until the end of his life.

Final 'Stache Rating (Out of Four Moustaches):

I've never seen Zappa without a 'stache. He also had the soul patch going for him. I wasn't lying when I said that Zappa scares me, but I should clarify that its both good and bad. This moustache is simply scary good.

1 comment:

Fletch said...

That thickness earns 4 'staches in my book. The fact that he pulled off the soul patch so well earns points, too. Dweezil and Ahmet have failed him in the 'stache realm.