The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Oscar Rating Does Improve

This is somewhat old news, but I didn't get a chance to write about it the last two days. The Oscars did improve their rating on Sunday. Considering that last year was abysmal, I guess that wasn't that hard. It still only managed 34.26 million viewers. That's a 6% increase from last year's 31.76 million.

Some people say that telecast was a failure, but as the old saying goes, "Rome wasn't built in a day." I don't think anyone expected the ratings to sky rocket on Sunday. If anything they waned to lay the groundwork on improving the ratings in the long term. Word of mouth will spread and I expect next year's rating to improve again.

Really, the Academy needs to nominate a huge film again. That was why many people hoped for The Dark Knight, which would have made people want to watch the show. Over 57 million people watched Titanic win 11 Oscars in 1998. And, in 2004 43.56 million watched Return of the King sweep 11 Oscars. Big movies equal big ratings.

I don't think the Oscars will ever be watched by Super Bowl numbers anyway. Most guys could care less about the Oscars. The only reason all my friends watch it is because we all went to film school and/or work in the film industry. I live in this bubble of film lovers in Los Angeles.

Hell, I watch the Oscars for roughly 12 hours the day of (pre-show, show, post-show). I guess I'm in the minority though. Haha.

No comments: