The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

No on 8


I just watched this and found it to be very inspiring.  Hard to believe Keith Olberman has spent a good portion of his career being a sports anchor.  Like Olberman, I'm straight and I just find this whole Prop 8 deal in California to be a disgrace.

Why do so many people care?  More importantly, why don't people realize that they are supporting discrimination?  I have to applaud many of my fellow Californians for making some noise.  It seems very evident that this fight is long from over.  Don't ask me how, but I've accidentally walked into two different protests in the last week for Prop 8.  Each time, I was getting a hamburger at Carl's Jr. (I had coupons...) and briefly joined the protest as I headed back to my apartment.

I've come to the sad conclusion that homophobia still rages on in even "liberal" parts of this country.  Tying this post into movies, I can't help, but revisit the 2005 Oscars when one of the most successful award precursor films ever, Brokeback Mountain, was upset by an extremely forgettable and overrated film, Crash.  There's no denying that Brokeback lost due to its profile of homosexuals.

Now, in 2008, another film, Milk, will be in contention for many awards.  Will it follow the same fate?  It sadly wouldn't surprise me at all.

I hope in 40 years, we'll look back at all this and shake our heads in disgust.  We apparently didn't learn from history.

1 comment:

Fletch said...

It's really disheartening. I'm ashamed to live in Arizona, where a similar prop passed by a wider margin, despite the fact that somehow, the lesser version of it was shut down just a few years back. Not surprisingly, the budget for passing it was loads more than the opposition had.

In time...