The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

It All Began with The Experience

(Redding, Hendrix, and Mitchell in 1967)

I'm honestly shocked to hear the sudden death of Mitch Mitchell, who was famously the drummer of the Jimi Hendrix Experience. With his passing, now all three members of one of rock's greatest power trios are no longer here. Hendrix was 27. Redding was 57. Mitchell was 61.

There's no denying the fact that The Beatles are by far my favorite (and the best) band ever, but what few people realize is that my gateway drug to classic rock and more importantly The Beatles was none other than The Jimi Hendrix Experience.

It all started back in 1997/1998 when Hollywood Hulk Hogan started to use Voodoo Child (Slight Return) as his entrance music.  I was simply blown away and one of the first cds I ever got was Jimi Hendrix's greatest hits.  I listened to that album a lot while most of my friends and fellow classmates in middle school were listening to gangster rap.

I figured if this band was good why not listen to some other bands like The Beatles and The Doors to name a few.  And the rest is history.

In retrospect, I owe a lot to Jimi, Noel, and Mitch.  So, I've decided that I'm going to listen to Are You Experienced?, Axis Bold as Love, and Electric Ladyland in order while smoking a joint.  I'm going to relive the magic long into the night.

I'm not working tomorrow, so fuck it, I'm doing it.  Oh, and about work, I'll write about that very soon.  Don't worry I didn't get fired...

No comments: