The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Monday, November 17, 2008

End of TRL is End of an Era

I was never a fan of the show and I barely ever watched it, but I was honestly sad to hear that TRL is now no more. It was easily the must see show in the afternoon in the late 90s. I was 13 during its premiere and everyone was watching it including my sister and dog. It was hard to avoid in the afternoon.

Now granted I never listened to any of the bands/musicians on the show, but I remember its impact. Every weekday Carson Daly would count down the hottest videos in Times Square. Mostly consisting of boy bands or pop princesses, there was the occasional band that snuck on there like Blink 182 or even Korn in the early days.

TRL served a strong purpose in its early days. It helped launch careers. It gave young artists an extra boost. NSYNC, The Backstreet Boys, Britney, Jessica, Christina, the list goes on and on. These artists went to another level that may not have been possible without the show.

I have no idea what happened to this show? I know Carson left in 2003. I know the kids that grew up with the show, simply grew up. I know the music landscape changed, but I figured the show would continue. Apparently, viewership has steeply declined, so MTV decided to pull the plug.

Speaking of MTV, what the hell is up with that channel? I know you have to adapt to the current times, but to me this channel is nowhere near what it was. Yes, I enjoy some of the reality shows (especially on VH1), but MTV should be about music videos and there is simply too much reality shows on. It's a music channel!

I do want to recall my favorite TRL memory (Yes, I do have one). It probably happened in 1999 (I know I was in the 8th grade). Chain letters were popular and there was one going around to vote for New Kids on the Block on a set date. This letter got huge and on that day I actually watched the show to see if it was going to be number one. Believe it or not, New Kids were number two that day (they probably lost to Backstreet or NSYNC) with their video, Hangin' Tough. I just thought that was funny and I think really proved the power of that show in the late 90s.

I'm sure most people feel the same way as me. Though not a fan of the show, the end of TRL is the end of an era. It's another sign that my childhood is dead. I need a tissue...

No comments: