The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Define The Dream

Shocked! Surprised! Excited! Scared Shitless! Those are just some of the many thoughts going through my head right now. If you haven't figured it out, something very big has just happened to Mikey Filmmaker.

Yes, after months of searching I have my first real full time job in the film industry (I don't count my full time gig on set in Mississippi even though I was paid). I do have a lot to write in this post as the format for this blog will be changing. No, I won't be writing about my job, but rather I won't have time to write much during the week. I'm working from 9 a.m.-7:30 p.m. I probably have to wake up between 6-6:30 a.m. until I move closer to my job and can shorten my commute.

Don't worry, I do plan to keep this blog going. It kind of works out nice because I do consider this a Oscar blog over everything else and let's be honest, it's the offseason. I need to figure out what is the best way to post and be the most effective and take it from there. I know I've lost many readers over the past month and I hope the ones that still do read this blog won't give up on me. I love doing this, but in reality, I love the film industry more. And, if I had to choose between the two, the blog would cease to exist. Luckily for you, that is not the case right now and if my new job presents that issue, I will let you know.

Another point I want to bring up is that I will never blog about my job. All I will tell you is I am working as a trainee for a talent and literary management company. They rep mostly writers and directors, but they have some actors that anyone with movie knowledge is quite familiar with. This is an entry level position that will show me the ropes of the business and lead to a desk job as an assistant, then ultimately a producer. And, all the people who read my blog are the first ones I will take care of once I get established. Wink, wink.

Anyway, enough of the boring stuff, I need to write about how this all went down because it's still hard to believe. I will present it in timeline form to you. I will refer to the company that hired me as simply The Company

May 2007: Graduate college and start to look at jobs. My family is in town, so it's not a all out search, but I start sending resumes to a couple advertisements. Get one phone call back, but the job doesn't work out, which is somewhat good considering it was working for a talent manager who repped many notorious scientologists in the business.

June 2007: Continue to look. Go on a couple interviews, but nothing seems to feel right.

July 2007: Get a call from my college professor and offered a job to work as an assistant director/production manager for a feature documentary being shot in Mississippi. The pay is good and I get to hang around people with southern accents, so I head south.

August 2007: Finish the Mississippi shoot and decide to head back home to Massachusetts since Sweet Pea is going to play at the Boston Film Festival in September.

September 2007: Spend the majority of the month in Mass. Sweet Pea screens and the Boston Film Festival makes me want to kill myself, but that's another story. Start to work with a recruiting agency to set up interviews with some of the big agencies in town.

October 2007: Interview with arguably the largest agency in town (Talent Agency A), but don't get the job. Also, see an advertisement for a job as a trainee at this management company (The Company). The twist is that The Company is where the creative executive at Kopelson started out with, so he knows people on the inside. He sends my resume in and I get a call to set up an interview on November 1.

November 2007: The interview goes great and it seems like this could work out. The HR person tells me that I will probably come back for a second interview very soon. The WGA strike begins on November 5 and The Company goes into a hiring freeze. They tell me that they really liked me, but they can't hire me now. Call back when the strike ends.

December 2007: Even though I still pay rent, I decide to head back home again to save money on daily expenses. I spend most of my time back explaining to people the situation even though most of them probably thought I was just making excuses.

January 2008: Spend about half the month back in Mass and finally return to California. It seems like the strike is going to end, so I prepare myself for the job hunt.

February 2008: The strike officially ends and the job hunt starts to pick up the pace again. Give a friendly call to The Company and they tell me to call back in a couple weeks. Call back in a couple weeks and they keep telling me the same answer. They remember me and that they will call me back when they're ready, but feel free to check in if you don't hear anything in about two weeks. Also start to send my resume out to other places, but not much action. The industry is in somewhat of a hangover after the strike.

March 2008: Go on an interview for a job with one of the major studios, but that doesn't work out. Call The Company probably twice during the month. Also go on an interview with another huge talent agency (Talent Agency B) through the recruitment agency, but doesn't seem to work out (actually still have not heard an answer as I'm writing this) even though I go on two interviews. Call The Company one more time before being told that they hired someone who knew one of the managers. For a consolation prize, they said I was in the lead for getting the spot, but they had to take this person since he had a connection.  They tell me I should call back in two months.

April 2008: Meet with an agent at Talent Agency B for interview number three on April 3 and says he will make a decision by the end of the day. Don't get the call. Send my resume everywhere as I'm getting desperate and frustrated.

Monday, April 7: I get a call and figure it is one of the companies that I sent a resume to, but it's The Company. The guy tells me that they have an opening in the trainee program and they want me to come in. The guy even tells me that they are only going to bring in me, so there should be no competition for the job. I'm so nervous that something might get screwed up that the only people I tell this to are my parents. I agree to go in for the second interview on April 9.

Tuesday, April 8: Get a call and they ask me to interview later that day since things are picking up. I agree and the rest is history. Have an amazing interview with one of the managers and the HR person, where I lay down some serious knowledge on The Company and what projects they have going on. Everything goes really smooth. They hire me on the spot and ask me to start on April 10 (Ironically 38 years to the day that The Beatles broke up. Don't think that means anything besides that I'm a Beatles fanatic.).

Point of this whole timeline is that persistence pays off. At least that is what I learned because I could have gave up back in November and not made the call in February. If that was the case, then I would have be writing this long blog post.

I also did learn a lot about this business and how it operates. It's tough and really only the strong survive. You just have to want it so bad that you won't stop at anything until you achieve your goal. Nothing is handed to you in this business. Yeah, that's the case with many industries, but it's especially true here. Was I lucky? A little. It helped I knew someone who had a connection at The Company, but I still needed to do the leg work. I also just clicked with the company from the start. It felt like the right fit and that's the most important thing. I truly believe this is the right place for me to start.

I got in my car getting ready to drive home and the first song on the radio was "More Than a Feeling" by Boston and I can't think of many songs better than that for that moment. I just smiled with pure excitement because the moment I was experiencing was really more than a feeling.

Where I go from here, I don't know, but keep reading this blog and you'll find out. Yeah, I have written, directed, and produced films, but now I finally feel like I can live up to my name of Mikey Filmmaker. I'm in the fucking film business. It's official. Call the newspapers.

The last thing I want to say is don't let your dreams be conquered by not taking chances or by simply not believing. Until you're dead and buried, it's never too late. After everything happened yesterday, I realized that The Dream does exist and it's not something foolish that I believe in. So, I only have one thing left to say.

This is for The Dream...

5 comments:

Daniel G. said...

Congrats, man! Sounds like you've worked really hard for this and I wish you the best of luck. I went to BU and have enjoyed your blog from a distance for a while. Look forward to the times that you do have to blog and share insights about your experience, even if they aren't specific to your actual job.

Fletch said...

Sweet - congrats on getting the job, Mikey. Your excitement is obvious - let's hope the job is as good as the wait.

Mikey Filmmaker said...

Thanks guys! I'll try to do some posting over the weekend, but I'm going to bed right. I'm exhausted after my first day.

nick plowman said...

OMG, Congrats!!!!!!


You totally deserve every good thing coming your way, and with or without your amazing blog posts, just have a blast!

fadedsilverscreen said...

Congrats! Your story is inspirational to those of us who are still trying to figure out what we want to do with our lives. Best of luck in your career.