The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Sunday, February 10, 2008

R.I.P. Roy Scheider 1932-2008



I'm sad to report that Chief Martin Brody has died. Yes, Roy Scheider who portrayed Brody in Jaws and Jaws 2 died from complications to a staph infection. He was 75. Besides Jaws, he's best remembered for The French Connection, Marathon Man, All That Jazz, and Sorcerer.

Even though, I've somewhat disowned Steven Spielberg, Jaws is still one of my favorite movies of all time. It's a film I grew up with, and watched over and over. It's simply a great film. And, really if I was going to attach one person to Jaws besides Spielberg, it would easily be Scheider. I believe he came back for the sequel only due to contract demands, but he still was a bright spot in a medicore (but still best Jaws' sequel) film.

To ask me to name my favorite scene in Jaws, would be like asking to pick my favorite child (if I had any). There's a bunch of them. My only advice to anyone is to see that movie if you haven't already. And if you haven't seen Jaws, what the fuck are you waiting for? Seriously.



My other favorite film of Scheider's was Marathon Man. He wasn't the lead and he actually gets killed fairly early in the film, but I just love that fight scene he has with an assassin. I couldn't find it on YouTube, but basically Roy somehow manages to kill this guy after being strangled with wire and he's bleeding like crazy. Marathon Man is another film that you should see if you haven't already.

Some could argue that Roy Scheider's career went downhill after the 70s, but his body of work is still strong if you look closely. He will be missed.

Chief Brody: Smile you son a of bitch.
(Shark Explodes)

I love that line...

No comments: