The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Sunday, February 24, 2008

Juno Wins Best Picture at Indie Spirits

Just watched the super delayed Indie Spirits (don't have IFC). I already knew all the winners, but just wanted to see how the show was. Not bad. Nothing special either. Somewhat predictable night. The only surprise in my opinion was Tamara Jenkins winning Best Screenplay over Ronald Harwood (Diving Bell) and Adrienne Shelly (Waitress). The night was also somewhat spread out. Juno was the big winner with three wins. Diving Bell and The Savages won two each.

Even with wins by Ellen Page, Cate Blanchett, Julian Schnabel, and Juno, I don't see it affecting the Oscar landscape at all. These awards hold little real value to the Oscars. Part of the reason is anyone can vote. Hell, I'm a voter, but I'm (sadly) not in the Academy.  I don't know how many people vote on the Spirits, but I bet the number is fairly large.

If you want to vote next year just join Film Independent (cost $95).  If you live in LA or NY, there are even more advantages.  I know in LA, they have a lot of screenings.  My roommate and I went to see The Darjeeling Limited.  After the film, we met Wes Anderson, Adrien Brody, and Jason Schwartzman.  Hell, I even pissed right next to Brody. No, I didn't look at his package in case you were wondering.

Going back to the Spirit Awards, they also decided to edit out the Best Cinematography and Best Documentary awards on AMC. I'm assuming it was for time related, but it's still a little disappointing. The show was over and I was like I missed something, but I haven't gone anywhere.

Maybe next year I will volunteer to work the show. I've been meaning to do it the last two years, but I've been unable to attend the orientation.

Anyway, I'm going to bed. See you in the morning.

No comments: