The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I'm with This Guy


I made a decision last night that I'm going with Transformers for Sound Mixing. I don't care if it loses to No Country for Old Men. My conscience has overtaken me in this race. Let's face it. Kevin O'Connell is 0/19 at the Oscars. Greg P. Russell (frequently works with O'Connell) is 0/11 at the Oscars. If they both go to 0/20 and 0/12, then I'm going down with them. Here's a look at O'Connell's 19 previous losses.

1983: Terms of Endearment lost to The Right Stuff
1984: Dune lost to Amadeus
1985: Silverado lost to Out of Africa
1986: Top Gun lost to Platoon
1989: Black Rain lost to Glory
1990: Days of Thunder lost to Dances with Wolves
1992: A Few Good Men lost to The Last of the Mohicans
1995: Crimson Tide lost to Apollo 13
1996: The Rock and Twister (double nominee) lost to The English Patient
1997: Con Air lost to Titanic
1998: Armageddon and The Mask of Zorro (double nominee) lost to Saving Private Ryan
2000: The Patriot lost to Gladiator
2001: Pearl Harbor lost to Black Hawk Down
2002: Spider-Man lost to Chicago
2004: Spider-Man 2 lost to Ray
2005: Memoirs of a Geisha lost to King Kong
2006: Apocalypto lost to Deamgirls

Now, I'm not saying he should have won all those races, but how can someone be nominated so many times and not win? He's like Susan Lucci without breasts (she was nominated 18 times before winning a Daytime Emmy). Don't ask me why, but I was watching that show back in '99 when she finally won and it was moving. I believe there was a standing ovation after all those years of heartbreak.

In my opinion what hurts O'Connell the most is the films he gets nominated for. Most of them are blockbusters and that doesn't always impress the voters. People sometimes get confused in this category and sound editing, thinking that loudest sound is the best sound. Anyone who is familar with sound mixing and designing knows it's also about what you don't hear. It's about establishing the mood of the scene and building tension. Sound is really a two way street. That's where a film like No Country comes in and has to be taken real serious.

The sound mixing race is really going to be an interesting one on Sunday. Are people in the Academy going to give it to Transformers over No Country? If history tells us anything, the answer is probably no. Then again, following history at the Oscars is sometimes a trap.

I'm going with my heart on this race and I'll probably be wrong, but I'm with O'Connell. Who's with me?

No comments: