The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Monday, February 25, 2008

Horrible Rating for the Oscars

The Oscars pulled a horrible rating last night. Its worst rating ever. I believe Nielsen ratings started in '74, so that's like 40 years and this is the worst. "Only" 32 million people watched the show. Compare that to the almost 100 million (97.5) that watched the Super Bowl and it looks even worse. It was a 20% fallout from last year.

I don't know what to attribute this to. I don't buy that people thought the strike was going on and no one was going to be there. It's not like the midwest or south doesn't have the internet. Maybe the international stars hurt the ratings. I would hate to think that, but it's possible. George Clooney and Johnny Depp were still there.

Even look at LA and NY, their numbers were both down. I don't know how ABC and the Academy will take this, but I can't imagine them being too happy. I would be extremely disappointing. It was a good show with a couple surprises. I don't know how memorable it was, but I don't consider it the worst Oscars I've seen.

On a side note, should be doing a podcast tonight with some reaction. I'll be posting it later tonight or sometime tomorrow.

No comments: