The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Clooney Concedes Oscar

I found it rather funny that George Clooney has conceded the Oscar to Daniel Day-Lewis. I'm not a huge fan of George, but I admire his sense of humor. Remember a couple years ago when he made the joke about not winning Best Director after he was awarded the Best Supporting Actor Oscar.

So, it got me thinking, what else is REALLY a lock this year? Honestly, after the Patriots' Super Bowl loss, I'm hesitant to ever say anything is a lock. For further evidence, look up Brokeback Mountain. Anyway, here is a quick look.

LOCKS:
Best Director: Joel & Ethan Coen, No Country for Old Men
Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis, There Will Be Blood
Best Actress: Julie Christie, Away from Her
Best Supporting Actor: Javier Bardem, No Country for Old Men
Best Animated Feature: Ratatouille

Should be LOCKS:
Best Picture: No Country for Old Men
Best Original Screenplay: Juno
Best Adapted Screenplay: No Country for Old Men
Best Visual Effects: Transformers

Okay, so maybe am I a little conservative? Possibly, but I think some of these races are a little close to call them locks. I'll have more on this in the near future.

2 comments:

Fletch said...

I mostly agree, but I see the Juno screenplay as a lock, but don't see Ratatouille or even the Coens as locks. Close maybe, but Persepolis and PT Anderson, respectively, should give them a run for their money.

Likewise, I think There Will Be Blood should be the lock over No Country, but don't expect that to happen.

Mikey Filmmaker said...

I think Juno is close, I'm just have a little doubt due to some talk about Gilroy's support. WGA this weekend should shed some light on that. I also see your point on Persepolis, but Ratatouille is a pixar film done by Brad Bird. It's just a good combination. I'd love to see Anderson win (favorite filmmaker), but the DGA is just too good of a precursor. Only six times in their history have they not matched with the Oscars. It would be great to see TWBB as Best Picture, but I also don't expect it to happen.