The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Bourne Wins ACE, Sweeney Wins CDG

Quickly catching up with the guilds, two more winners have been revealed.  I know this was is very late, but The Bourne Ultimatum won the Eddie at the ACE awards and Sweeney Todd won the top honors at the Costume Designers Guild.

So, what do these two wins mean, if anything?  Well, for Bourne I think it proves it is a real contender in that race.  I don't think that the Coens can win four Oscars and this could be their one slip.  This kind of reminds me of when Black Hawk Down beat A Beautiful Mind back in 2001.  Or even The Aviator beating Million Dollar Baby.  Best Editing helps, but there is no written rule that it must go to the Best Picture.  As I reported back in my Oscar Series post, this past decade the Academy and ACE have matched up 4/7.

As for Sweeney Todd, it sets up an interesting face-off between that and probably Atonement.  Neither film has really been a favorite this year and both really didn't live up to expectations.  It will come down to which direction voters want to go.  Sweeney Todd is more elaborate costumes, while Atonement is more beautiful.  As I reported back in my Oscar Series post, this past decade the Academy and CDG have gone 4/7.

No comments: