The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Sweeney Todd

*POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT*

Well, I finally saw "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber on Fleet Street" last night. Man was that film bloody. That has to be one of the bloodiest films I've ever seen. Still, with all the blood, I found myself entertained throughout the film. The singing was even bearable (I'm not a very big fan of musicals).

With all that said, I just can't put this film on the same level as say "Blood" or "No Country". It's clearly Tim Burton's best in a while, but it came out the wrong year to be taken serious as an Oscar contender. As soon as the film was over, I said to myself, "This film would have won best picture in 2006 and maybe next year, but 2007 no way."

Nothing in the film really blew me away. I thought the story was a little weak and it felt almost rushed. Sweeney was likable in a way. More likable than Plainview ("There Will Be Blood"), but I never really felt for him too much. I didn't have that much emotion invested in him or Mrs. Lovett. The end also felt a little rushed and it was a little too predictable. About halfway through the movie, I had a really good feeling that the homeless woman was going to be his wife.

I think it's a great musical and Tim Burton was the perfect choice to direct. And, Johnny and Helena were perfect for their roles. I've never seen the musical on broadway, but I can't picture anyone else being the demon barber and Mrs. Lovett. I also can't figure out how Johnny was left off the SAG ballot. There's no way he's going to beat Day-Lewis, but he continues to be a great actor. I'm sure his day will come one day.

As for the picture itself, it's going to be interesting. I'm beginning to think it won't even be nominated for best picture and will lose the Golden Globe. As much as I respect Tom O'Neil from The Envelope, you should really change your predictions. "Sweeney Todd" isn't going to win any major awards.

2 comments:

Kyle said...

Okay, so you have enough time to write an entire blog entry about "Sweeney Todd", but no time to send a quick reply to my e-mail. What the hell, man?

Oh, and thanks for ruining part of the film. You should put SPOILER ALERT before you reveal things like "the homeless woman was his wife". I want you to pay for my ticket to the movie now.

Dicking Your Dragon said...

I agree with everything you said Mikey Filmmaker. Kudos, and congratulations you finally got everything correct. Lets see if you can carry this over and you may reach en fuego status.

Till that day. I will forever be

Dicking Your Dragon