The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Juno

"POSSIBLE SPOILER ALERT*

Saw "Juno" tonight (I'm making one big push before the Globes). It' hard to deny it being this year's little film that could. It's a heartwarming comedy led by rising star Ellen Page (I still need to see "Hard Candy"). Add on top of that writing by Diablo Cody and directing by Jason Reitman, you've got yourself a hit.

The first thing that stands out with this film for me is Ellen Page. Her performance of "Juno" is all it's talked up to be. She is supposed to be a 16 year old high school student, but as the film progresses she's grows so much with the pregnancy. I was especially impressed by her relationship in the film with Jason Bateman.

And while on the topic of Bateman, that brings me to the most impressive part of the film. It's Cody's writing, which it top notch. She takes a couple (Jennifer Garner and Jason Bateman) and paints a very early picture of them for you. You quickly take a liking to Bateman and Garner you think is just annoying. Bateman's character is cool, he plays guitar, and watches cult horror movies. Then, the script takes this side street and the characters completely flip. It was brilliant. That scene in the basement while listening to Mott the Hoople was something I wish I could write.

After watching both this film and "Sweeney Todd" in the last two days, I've got a fresh memory of the top two Golden Globes musical and comedy contenders. If I had vote, I would probably cast it for "Juno". This film is more likable and believe me (I've worked for three members of the Academy) voters like that stuff. Only time will, but "Juno" is a well crafted film that tugs at your emotions throughout 90 minutes.

No comments: