The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Initial Oscar Nomination Reaction

Oscar nominations are out! I actually predicted 31/40 nominations in the major eight categories (picture, directing, writing, and acting). 23/30 in the big six (excluding screenplays). That's pretty damn good for me at least since this is the first year I've ever tried to predict the nominees.

I'll have more thoughts later in the day. I just wanted to post something quick. Here are some random thoughts.

- Atonement is alive. Still not really a factor in the Best Picture race, but it did receive some love from the Academy.
- Into The Wild, what happened? Sean Penn's film received only one nomination (Hal Holbrook). Many people thought this film was going to be a contender and I know some people really liked it (extremely high on some pundit's charts).
- There seems to be a feeling right now that people are mad that Juno is in the Best Picture race. I thought that was what everyone wanted? Or are people beginning to realize that it's just not on the same playing field as the other nominees. It's a great film, but will it really be remembered down the road as say, Blood?
- If the Oscars were a wrestling or even boxing ppv, I would love to see how they would promote the main event (Best Picture race). It does indeed look like it will come down to No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood. Both scored eight nominations. Well, Blood should have probably had nine (Greenwood's score), but we won't get into that.
- I'm still sticking to my bold prediction (look at my charts HERE) that Robert Elswit will beat Roger Deakins for Best Cinematography. Deakins might have done the "better" job, but he got nominated for two films. Yes, that is not always a disaster for everyone (Soderbergh won Best Director in 2000 with a double nomination), but both work is being applauded and how do you choose? It could be a recipe for disaster.
- There is an old saying that Best Editing wins Best Picture. If that is the case, then only Blood and No Country have a legit shot at the top prize. All the other Best Picture nominees did not receive editing nominations.
- One surprising nomination to me was Tommy Lee Jones for In the Valley of Elah. I've yet to see it, but I have heard good things. I guess it's surprising due to the fact that barely anyone took him seriously in this race.
- Cate Blanchett scored the double nomination, but what club will she join? The 0/2 club? The 1/2 club? Or the 2/2 club? I'm thinking 0/2. It's okay though. Julianne Moore is in that club, too.

I'll have more later. I'm off to relax for a little now that the nominations are announced.

4 comments:

Dicking Your Dragon said...

Make an interesting post. I mean all this Oscar shit is cool and all but for the past two weeks you have been like a broken record. The same shit over and over again.

Fuck man, step it up. Diversify. Be interesting again.

Hot Dog said...

Know what you're reading Dicking Your Dragon - the blog specifically says "Oscar Predictions and Boston Sports right to your computer screen". It's Oscar season: if you want something different, go somewhere else.

Sir. Dicking Your Dragon said...

Perhaps I will take my reading else where. Then you can apologize to Mr. Mikey Filmmaker your self for loosing his most devout reader.

And for your information, Cold Dick, this blog has been about so much more. Go back more than 2 weeks and you can find that.

Mikey Filmmaker said...

This blog is about primarily the Oscars and Boston sports. I don't really know what else you want me to write about?