The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Monday, January 7, 2008

Globes Canceled!

Well, the Golden Globes are canceled and that's sad news. It's sad because the awards season is part of what Hollywood is all about. And, for the second biggest award show of the year to be simply a press conference for one hour next Sunday is disappointing.

Is it a "win" for the WGA? I don't really think so, but they made a statement. Although, my one issue with the whole situation is why allow waivers for some award shows like the upcoming Indie Spirit Awards and the SAG Awards? Then, say, "No." to the HFPA? This is part of my problem with the WGA. I know the Indie Spirits show on I believe the IFC Channel and SAG is on TNT (not 100%), but still doesn't make that much sense to me. To me, it should be all or nothing. Don't play favorites. I think it sends the wrong message.

The other sad part of this whole ordeal is viewers get stuck watching mediocre shows like the Critics Choice (see previous post), which was two hours of garbage in my opinion. I don't know how the WGA will handle the Oscars. It airs on ABC and I think they have to picket the show. If the writers want to "hurt" the studios what better way than shutting down the most famous award show in the world? It sucks, but that's life.

One final note about the new side deal between UA and the WGA. If that's what it's going to take to get this strike settled, then so be it. Although, people are getting a little too excited. Do you know how many movies UA produces a year? Not many. I think they produced less than five in 2007. That's a handful of writers being able to work. This isn't Universal Studios or Sony we're talking about here. Still, I tip my hat to the WGA.

No comments: