The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Dark Knight Dilemma





There' all kind of talk about what Warner Bros. is going to do with the marketing with The Dark Knight. I see their concern, but are they really going to change the whole marketing campaign due to Heath Ledger's death? Would have Heath wanted it that way?

It somewhat bothers me when someone famous dies at a young age that people become so sensitive that they can't bear to look at a poster, picture, or whatever of that person in the wrong way. Although, I will say that I don't agree with say Defamer posting a video of the cops taking Heath Ledger's body out of his apartment in a body bag. That's disturbing, but a promotional picture with him on it is a different story.

Heath Ledger played The Joker. A bad guy that is crazy and cynical in the film. It won't change my opinion on him or the movie if you continue to use The Joker as a marketing campaign. It's not like they just came out with the poster right after his death to capitalize on it. It's been out for some time now. This is a film that had so much hype that it didn't need any help. People have been talking about it as soon as Batman Begins. My roommate came in his pants he was so excited when he saw the trailer.

Now, people are like, "That's offensive." Well, I guess then you won't be going to the movie unless they change the film into a fairy tale or they go back to making Batman corny like they did back in the mid 1990s.

Maybe, it's because I'm a filmmaker, first and foremost, and this stuff does not bother me. I just find it somewhat annoying that people begin to look too closely into everything. I'm sure that The Dark Knight is going to be amazing. Maybe the highest grossing film of 2008. If that is Heath Ledger's swan song, then he's going out on top. He deserves it regardless of how he died. Just don't tarnish his last role due to his untimely death. It's not fair to him.

2 comments:

Dicking Your Dragon said...

The following the link is completely insensitive and really doesn't have an excuse. There is over sensitivity, sensitive, in bad taste and and then there is this. Listen to it.

http://thinkprogress.org/2008/01/23/gibson-mocks-ledger/

Mikey Filmmaker said...

Thanks for that "entertaining" piece of information. Part of me is glad you read the blog, but also glad I don't know you.