The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Monday, January 14, 2008

Commentary of Golden Globes

9:00 Telecast, I mean, press conference begins. They start with a clip show. Where are all the stars? Oh yeah, I forgot.

9:02 Dave Karger is going to give analysis. Oh great. This is going to be a horrible night. Nothing against Dave, but I don’t really want to listen to him.

9:03 Best supporting actress to start off the night. Amy Ryan? Cate Blanchett? We’ll find out soon...

9:05 Cate Blanchett pulls it off. Well, great start for my night and my website. I might as well quit now. Now, they go into tv, which I won’t really be talking about in this post.

9:08 I don’t even know who’s announcing the winners, but I’m about to strangle them and we’re less than 10 minutes in. I thought the Critics Choice Awards were bad, this is atrocious.

9:16 Animated film is next. Ratatouille wins, which is no surprise. Has this film lost yet? Don’t think so.

9:18 Best actress - musical or comedy is next and Marion Cotillard beats Ellen Page. That’s a big win for her and maybe a bad sign for Juno later tonight.

9:24 Best supporting actor is next up. Javier Bardem wins. This category is a lock for Javier. Maybe Hal Holbrook at the Oscars, but I just don’t think he can pull it off.

9:43 Best director up next and is there any doubt about the Coens? Julian Schnabel with the huge upset. I’ll have more on that later.

9:45 Best actor - musical or comedy is next. This would be a huge upset if Johnny loses due to the weak field. Johnny Depp finally wins a Golden Globe.

9:48 Best picture - musical or comedy is next. Juno or Sweeney Todd? Sweeney Todd beats Juno. Is this film actually still alive? And a rough showing for Juno.

9:54 Best actress - drama is next. Can Cate go two for two? This should be Julie Christie and yes, she wins.

9:57 Best actor - drama is next. Will it be George or Daniel? Daniel Day-Lewis with the win.

9:58 Dave Karger predicts on air either No Country or Atonement. This is so “dramatic” and the winner is... Atonement. Haha. You serious?

Complete List of Winners:
BEST PICTURE - DRAMA: Atonement
BEST PICTURE - MUSICAL OR COMEDY: Sweeney Todd
BEST ACTOR - DRAMA: Daniel Day-Lewis, There Will Be Blood
BEST ACTRESS - DRAMA: Julie Christie, Away from Her
BEST ACTOR - MUSICAL OR COMEDY: Johnny Depp, Sweeney Todd
BEST ACTRESS - MUSICAL OR COMEDY: Marion Cotillard, La Vie En Rose
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Javier Bardem, No Country for Old Men
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Cate Blanchett, I'm Not There
BEST DIRECTOR: Julian Schnabel, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
BEST SCREENPLAY: Joel & Ethan Coen, No Country for Old Men
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE: Dario Marianelli, Atonement
BEST ORIGNAL SONG: "Guarnateed", Into the Wild
BEST ANIMATED FILM: Ratatouille
BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM: The Diving Bell and the Butterfly

Prediction Success: 7/14 (Horrible, I know)

Afterthoughts:
The Globes always fuck with people’s minds. They don’t tend to match up with the Oscars and I don’t think this year will be any different. Huge boosts for Atonement and Sweeney Todd. Interesting questions coming out of tonight will be the real status of Juno, There Will Be Blood, Michael Clayton, and even No Country for Old Men. To be honest, I thought all four films had horrible showings tonight. Both Clayton and Juno were shut out. No Country may have won best supporting actor and screenplay (not announced), but lost two key races (director and picture). Still, where is Atonement and Sweeney Todd at the guild awards? I’d personally put more weight on the guilds than the HFPA. I’ll post another Oscar prediction chart in the next day or so. I’ll probably be making some changes after tonight. Although, I don’t anticipate anything major.


Originally appeared at Spaghetti Sauce and Sweet Peas on 1/13/08.

No comments: