The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Reaction to the Globes Noms

Seven best picture nominees for drama? Wow, I wish I knew that last night. I would have picked more movies. Some interesting choices by the HFPA earlier today. Some I agree with. Others not so much. Here are my thoughts about the 12 best picture nominees.

BEST PICTURE - DRAMA
"American Gangster": This film is no "The Departed". Yeah, it's got Russell and Denzel with Ridley Scott directing, but you don't hear a lot about it. I don't consider it a contender in this race.
"Atonement": This film should do well at the Globes. It's a film the Hollywood Foreign Press likes with a strong European influence.
"Eastern Promises": I'm scratching my head at this film. Would have preferred "Into the Wild", but you can't always get what you want.
"The Great Debaters": If it was ten years ago, I would be saying this film could make some noise. Unfortunately, for Denzel and co., it's 2007.
"Michael Clayton": It failed to get a screenplay nomination, which surprised me, but got the two acting nominations. This film is still a threat come Oscar time.
"No Country for Old Men": If this film wins the Globe, then you have to say the Oscars should be anti-climatic. As I said last night, this film will continue to do well at the critic awards, but the Globes and Oscars are different animals. I can't see it winning here.
"There Will Be Blood": If this film wins the Globe, then the Oscars will be very suspenseful. It's definitely hurt by no director nomination, but the picture nod here was huge. The biggest question for this film will be whether voters will see it (yeah, I know they get screeners and whatnot, but still). "Blood" doesn't come out until a day after Christmas and I think it was a bad move by Paramount Vantage.

BEST PICTURE - MUSICAL OR COMEDY
"Across the Universe": Yeah, I liked this film, but it had no business being nominated. I actually read somewhere probably a month ago that the HFPA liked this film. Apparently, that article was onto something.
"Charlie Wilson's War": I was wrong about this film as it actually comes out of today probably the biggest winner with five nominations (Hanks, Hoffman, Roberts, and screenplay). I personally don't think it should be a comedy, but it has a chance to make a big statement if it wins. That will dictate its Oscar chances.
"Hairspray": Huge boost for this film and Travolta with two nominations. I haven't seen it, but it's time to look at it as a contender.
"Juno": This film has a really good shot to win. I consider it right outside my Oscar top five, so a win would probably move it in there. If the HFPA thinks "Sweeney" is too dark or bloody, then it will probably be the benefactor and take the award.
"Sweeney Todd": This should be their award to lose, but the blood worries me. Still, it should win and will make a claim as one of the serious Oscar contenders this year.

Golden Globes Predictions 12/14
BEST PICTURE - DRAMA: "Atonement"
BEST PICTURE -COMEDY/MUSICAL: "Sweeney Todd"
BEST ACTOR - DRAMA: Daniel Day-Lewis, "There Will Be Blood"
BEST ACTRESS - DRAMA: Julie Christie, "Away from Her"
BEST ACTOR - MUSICAL OR COMEDY: Johnny Depp, "Sweeney Todd"
BEST ACTRESS - MUSICAL OR COMEDY: Marion Cotillard, "La Vie en Rose"
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Javier Bardem, "No Country for Old Men"
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Amy Ryan, "Gone Baby Gone"
BEST DIRECTOR: Ethan and Joel Coen, "No Country for Old Men"
BEST SCREENPLAY: Christopher Hampton, "Atonement"
BEST ORIGINAL SCORE: Dario Marianelli, "Atonement"
BEST ORIGNAL SONG: "Walk Hard", "Walk Hard"
BEST ANIMATED FILM: "Ratatouille"
BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM: "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"

Updated Oscar BEST PICTURE 12/14
The Nominees:
1. "Atonement"
2. "No Country for Old Men"
3. "Sweeney Todd"
4. "There Will Be Blood"
5. "Michael Clayton"
On the Bubble:
6. "Juno"
7. "American Gangster"
8. "Into the Wild"
9. "Charlie Wilson's War"
10. "The Great Debaters"

No comments: