The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Awards Take New Turn Tomorrow

"As for There Will Be Blood, about which you will be reading much more in the pages of the Weekly over the coming weeks, I will say only this: There are great films (like No Country For Old Men) and then there are films that send shock waves through the very landscape of cinema, that instantly stake a claim on a place in the canon. Often, such vanguard works fail to be fully understood or appreciated at the moment they first appear, as some of the initial reviews that greeted Psycho, 2001 and Bonnie and Clyde attest. There Will Be Blood belongs in their company, and I consider myself fortunate to belong to a group with the foresight to recognize it in its own moment." - Scott Foundas, December 9, 2007

I read this on the internet the other day and I thought it was a very powerful quote. And, honestly I completely agree with Foundas. I saw this film almost a month ago and I think I'm beginning to appreciate it more and more as the days pass. I honestly can't wait to see it again in the next month. That brings us to the big question. Not only where is this film in regards to awards, but where are the other heavy hitters one day before the Golden Globes nominations.

"Atonement": This film is worrying me a little. It came out to good, not great reviews and it seems to be losing steam. People compare this to "The English Patient" and I don't necessarily think that's a good thing.

"Charlie Wilson's War": This film is going to get shut out of the best picture race. I think it's dead and will be generally viewed as a disappointment in regards to awards.

"Juno": The little film that could needs a nomination from the Globes if it wants a chance at the Oscars. I think it's a real good possibility for it and its star, Ellen Page, to receive noms tomorrow.

"Michael Clayton": This film is somewhat of a wild card for me. I've heard some really strong support for this film. Everyone loves Clooney and it supposedly is really good. I've yet to see it, but the Clooney machine should not be underestimated.

"No Country for Old Men": This film is probably in the best position going into the Globes. It has big wins in NY, DC, and Boston. Just remember this: critic awards doesn't translate to Globes or Oscars success. They are two completely different animals.

"Sweeney Todd": This film should do well at the Globes. I actually see it not only being nominated for best picture and best actor, but winning both in the musical category. "Sweeney" will benefit from the split of the drama and comedy/musical categories. If it doesn't do well, then you really have to worry about it.

"There Will Be Blood": This film is back thanks to the LA Film Critics. I think this film is going to surprise some people and I expect it to do well tomorrow at the Globes. At least it will get the best picture and best actor nominations. I'm not going to give up on this film until I completely feel it's dead.

BEST DRAMA
"Atonement"
"Into the Wild"
"Michael Clayton"
"No Country for Old Men"
"There Will Be Blood"

BEST COMEDY/MUSICAL
"Enchanted"
"Hairspray"
"Juno"
"Once"
"Sweeney Todd"

I'll have more in the coming days after the Golden Globe nominations have been announced.

No comments: