The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Van Halen Jumps Through the Staples Center's Roof

Last night I went to see Van Halen at the Staples Center in LA. Not going to lie, probably the loudest concert I've ever been to. I could literally feel the vibrations on the bass during the show. It was an odd feeling, but one that made me realize this was a concert.

As I stated yesterday, I'm not the biggest Van Halen fan. I think they have some really good songs. Although, I think their post David Lee Roth period is somewhat questionable. Luckily last night, they chose to stick to songs from the beginning to 1984 (when Diamond Dave left the band).

I did find it odd that Ziggy Marley was chosen to open the show. Considering Van Halen is hard rock, having someone who plays raggae was different. Although, I didn't mind the music and he even chose to play a couple covers of his Dad's work. Of course, I'm talking about Bob.

As for the main act, I really can't complain. The crowd was extremely hot and Van Halen came out with a bang. Right away, you could tell they were having a lot of fun on stage and it set the tone for the whole show. I was born a year after Dave left the band, so I have no recollection of the band during its heyday. I will say this though, David Lee Roth, is a damn good frontman. I was really impressed. I thought he brought the show to another level. Between his crazy outfits, karate kicks, and swinging the microphone, I was entertained. The only other show where I saw a band with a lead singer was U2 back in 2001 and I thought Diamond Dave put Bono to shame. I can only imagine what he was like back in the day.

As for the setlist, I thought it was really good. They played the best of the best from the early era. They stayed away from Sammy's stuff, which I was thankful for. My only disappointment was the fact that the show was so loud I had great difficulty hearing Dave singing. Sometimes I had to wait until halfway through the song to even realize what it was. I don't know if this was intentional or not, but I found it somewhat annoying. Maybe it was a bad mix or maybe they just wanted to showcase Eddie's guitar playing. Not really sure.

As for Eddie, damn he is good. Last night, he proved to me why he is regarded as one of the best. The only better guitar playing I've seen live is from Eric Clapton and the last time I checked, people called him God. Alex Van Halen's drumming was good and the drum solo they gave him was a nice touch. I was a little disappointed that Michael Anthony didn't go on this tour. Although, Wolfgang held his own, he was easily the weakest part of the show. He was stiff for most of the night, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. For still being in his teens, he have to give him credit to be even playing on the same stage as the only three guys.

Other random notes from the show have to be a guy taking a piss in the trash can in the bathroom at the end of the night. I'm standing in line, waiting for my turn and this guy stampedes through the line and before you know it, he's pissing. One of the weirdest things I've ever seen. Another odd site has to go to this girl who went to the show with her boyfriend. She spent the entire night, dancing in his face, shaking her ass, and taunting him. Yet, the guy stood up maybe once during the whole show and failed to even clap. I simply found that to be odd. Why waste the money and even go to the show if you have no desire to be there? These tickets are not cheap.

Overall, Van Halen did not disappoint me and made me appreciate their music a lot more. Some songs I barely knew, I know got stuck in my head. And, my ears are still recovering from the show, but I guess that's not always a bad thing.

No comments: