The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Two More Movies, Two More...

I saw both "I'm Not There" and "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" in the last few days. Although, I just don't feel like writing "real" reviews about them right now. Not really in the mood, but here are some random thoughts.

I was not a huge fan of "I'm Not There". This film just didn't do it for me. I liked Cate's performance, but I thought it lacked the structure needed to keep your attention. Going from one character to another just wasn't working. I had no feelings for half of the "Bob Dylan" characters. I'm disappointed this film didn't work for me. I usually like these kinds of movies, but I just kept checking my watch to see if it was almost over.

As for the other film with the extremely long title. I thought it was really good. Probably the second best movie I've seen this year (number one being "There Will Be Blood"). It was slow and long, but I thought the story was interesting enough and the film was beautiful to look at. If Roger Deakins is going to win the Oscar this year, then it better be for this one. It should be an interesting battle between him and Robert Elswitt. I also thought Casey Affleck was surprisingly good in this film and I like him a lot in regards to his Oscar chances. The big negative for this film is the fact that no one saw it, so it will depend on if the word can spread enough to voters.

Early next week I will be officially debuting my Oscar picks on this blog. It will only cover the big eight categories, but I will give you what I think is the current favorites for the nomination.

No comments: