The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Saturday, November 17, 2007

There Will Be Blood and Oscars

Wow, the first, somewhat official Oscar post of the year! I know it's exciting. After watching "There Will Be Blood" the other night and thinking about it, I think was head is a little more clear. I've had a chance to read a good amount of reviews of the film. I've also started to check various Oscar sites since the award season is quickly approaching.

I read an interesting point someone made on the internet that it's foolish to think that a movie's greatness is only measured on Oscar glory. Some films are simply made to not win Oscars. Look at Kubrick, Hitchcock, and even Scorsese. They have a horrible Oscar record, but have made some of the best films ever. That person puts Anderson's newest film in that category. Here's what I will say. I somewhat agree with that philosophy.

Here's the thing with "There Will Be Blood". It is probably going to be the best made film of 2007, pound for pound. Yes, I haven't seen most of the heavy hitters yet, but his film is that good. Although, I wouldn't bet my life's fortune on it winning any major categories. This film could garner close to ten nominations:

Best Picture
Best Director
Best Actor
Best Supporting Actor
Best Adapted Screenplay
Best Cinematography
Best Editing
Best Art Direction
Best Costume Design
Best Original Score

Objectively speaking at this current moment in time, this film will probably lose almost every one of those categories. It's simply not a film that Academy members are going to want to sit through. Let me just say this bluntly, many Academy members refused to watch "Brokeback Mountain" a couple years ago ( costing it Best Picture) and this film I personally think is more disturbing than that. Particularly in terms of faith and family.

Right now here are my best picture nominees from what I've been reading/hearing:
Atonement
Charlie Wilson's War
No Country for Old Men
Sweeney Todd
There Will Be Blood

No comments: