The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Monday, October 29, 2007

Red Sox on Top of the World!

Those damn Boston Red Sox won another World Series last night. Simply unbelievable. Two title in four years after no titles in 86 years.

It's hard to describe to somewhere life as a Red Sox fan before and after 2004. It's two different breeds. The Red Sox now are just another team that wins titles. They are confident and loose. They just win. The Red Sox that didn't win a title for 86 years was a team that always anticipated the worst. And, they always brought the World Series to seven games before officially losing.

I wrote in this blog a couple times that I couldn't figure out this team. I honestly didn't think they would win the whole thing either. I was wrong, which is not always a bad thing. This Red Sox team really has a great formula. They have a great mix of veterans and youngsters. They have rookies who can play. They have a well rounded rotation. Their bullpen is another mix of all ages and talents. And, to top it off they have a lights out closer (my personal pick for WS MVP, but Lowell did deserve it).

Comparing this team to 2004 is somewhat foolish. They asked that question last night during the game and it kind of pissed me off. It pissed me off even more when they said 2007 was better. I would still take the 2004 team and I still think they will always be regarded as the greatest ever in the history of the Red Sox. The big difference between the two teams is that 2004 was strictly a veteran ballclub that was really only poised to make one run at the title and probably not have a legitimate shot to repeat. This 2007 team has a great shot to repeat. If they re-sign Lowell and Schilling, then they have every right to be the favorite in 2008.

It's funny to think that 2004 and 2007 were almost identical postseasons. The Red Sox have actually won eight straight World Series games. And they have come back from a 3-0 and 3-1 deficit in the ALCS. And they have swept the ALDS 3-0 against the Angels both times. Hell, both World Series was also extremely one-sided. They never trailed in 2004 and trailed for only three or four innings in 2007.

I watched the game yesterday at a bar and really it hit me. This is the pinnacle of Boston sports. Granted I'm living out here in California, but still it's amazing. I still had goosebumps on my arms and butterflies in my stomach during the ninth inning. And, it still choked me up to win another championship. It's a magical time and it never gets old. I guess I realized how lucky I am right now. Boston has won five championships since February 2002.

No comments: