The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Thursday, October 4, 2007

Pissing Next to an Academy Award Winning Actor

Last night I saw "The Darjeeling Limited" at one of the Film Independent preview screenings. I took Mr. K to the event due to his liking of Mr. Anderson and company. It was actually a fun night. We got there a little early, but the line was still probably 80 deep. We waited and waited until finally getting a ticket and wristband (for the reception?).

I wouldn't call myself a huge Wes Anderson fan, but I respect the guy. And his latest effort was solid. The film is about three brothers going on a journey aboard the Darjeeling Limited in India. It's quirky, but heartfelt. Enjoyable at best. I wouldn't call it a masterpiece, but I would recommend it. The only negative comment I really have about the film is that it was sometimes uncomfortable to hear Owen Wilson character talk about death and suicide, but I don't blame the filmmakers for that. It would have been foolish to postpone the movie a year. In reality, it will probably help the film due to increased interest in Wilson's life.

After the film was the "big" treat. One I had hoped to suprise Mr. K with, but he had to get on Sherlock Holmes and find out Wes Anderson, Adrien Brody, Jason Schwartzman, and Roman Coppola would all be in attendance for a Q & A. That is surely one of the great things about LA is that opportunity to see the filmmakers in person and have a chance to ask them questions. Mr. K asked a good question and even used the term Bottle Rocket-esque. Not sure what that exactly means other than I'm a pretenious Wes Anderson fan (just kidding).

Then, after the Q & A, everyone started to move around the theatre. First, we bumped into Adrien Brody and shook hands. Then, I watched my good friend try not to get a hard on as he approached Wes with a DVD sleeve of "Rushmore" to sign. As a solid wingman, I took a picture of the two. This was followed by quick handshakes. Finally, Jason Schwartzman signed the dvd cover and another picture was taken followed by handshakes. After the meet and greet, we slowly walked out to the reception.

They had an open bar and I drank some Southern Comfort mixed drink, which was not too bad. Then, I picked up a bag of "Darjeeling Limited" nuts. We stayed for a little and walked around. It was funny to see Wes, Adrien, Jason, and Roman just standing around. Normal people on the outside, but not on the inside. Basically, it's hard to start a conversation with them.

When we decided to leave, I went to the bathroom. As I stood there pissing in the urinal, the door opens and Adrien Brody walks in and goes to the urinal two from my right. I continued to pee and considered saying something, but I realized that the bathroom is not the best place to start a conversation if you're a guy. It comes off as gay. Think about it for a second. It's uncomfortable to talk to another guy when you both have your dicks out (protected or unprotected by the urinal barriers). I decided to play it cool and just walk out of the bathroom. I already shook the guy's hand once. Although, that's probably my favorite celebrity encounter since being out here.

So, we finally left and now Mr. K owes me a lot. I still haven't decided what to do, but I'll know when the time is right. I do know it was a fun night and I should try to go to these events more often. They're free and you get to meet people. Sounds like a good deal.

No comments: