The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The End of the Festival is Near

Tomorrow is closing night of the festival (even though the festival actually ends on Friday night). It's safe to say it wasn't what I was hoping for, but I'll write about that in a couple days. For now, let me give you a quick review of the last couple days.

Since "Sweet Pea" screened, I've been going to the festival sporadically. I actually took Monday off for a couple reasons. One I was too disappointed to show my face after what I consider to be a horrible premiere the day before and I thought the film slate was mediocre.

I came back on Tuesday to watch some more short films. I thought a lot of them had good production value, but most lacked a good story. I actually thought some of the stories were less than average. Although, the highlight of the day was lobbying for an interview with Emerson's tv station. Granted, no one will see it, I figured what the hell. I ended up talking to the girl for probably close to five minutes. I ended the interview by saying, "Look out." That's my new slogan for everything.

At night, I watched a surprisingly, funny film called "Everybody Wants to be Italian" that was based in Boston's North End (the Italian district for all you idiots). My only negative comment on the film was that it might resemble too much of "...Greek Wedding". Otherwise, it was the funniest film I've seen all week. They are screening this film at the Egyptian in LA on October 1st and I might even go see it again.

Today I watched two feature films, "Greetings from the Shore" and "In the Land of Merry Misfits". The first film was a coming of age story about a girl working on the Jersey shore for the summer. Not the deepest story, but I did like the ending. Of course, she got the guy, but it was not as direct as most films in that genre. Plus, I met the two leads and even took a picture of them in front of the theatre. It was hot. Or should I say, she's hot.

The other film took the meaning of cult film to another level to me. I don't think I could even watch it again unless I was high. I actually thought the film was so over the top that it will probably suffer and simply rely of word of mouth. I actually want Mr. K, Mr. N., Mr. J, and Mr. D to see this film since I want to see if they will laugh. Yeah the crowd was laughing, but I felt like most of it was forced to appease the cast and crew in attendance. And yes, Mr. Bob Backlund (former WWF world champion and actor in the flm) was there, but was flooded after the screening, so I didn't meet him.

You might be asking why I haven't talked about the parties? Well, I haven't really been going to the parties. First of all, they have them during the screenings, which is stupid. The locations are also all over the city in these five star restaurants that require suits. I didn't even bring my suit with me since I got all kinds of shit from Mr. K and Mr. N for wearing a suit at the "Sweet Pea" premiere.

Another issue I'm having is the fact that it's hard to meet the filmmakers. I even talked to another short filmmaker I got pretty chummy with and he said most of the parties/receptions have suffered low attendance and have not been that effective. Then, when I have met a couple people most of them have been giving me the cold shoulder. I introduced myself to a director today and he stopped my conversation as soon as some of his friends came in the theatre. And, the conversation literally just started. It gets me thinking that most people don't want to bother with a 22 year old filmmaker who made a short film. You're looking at Mr. Irrelevant.

As I enter tomorrow, I don't even know if I'm going to the closing night party. I don't really know if there's a point. I'm sick of being ignored and stepped on. I know I'm only 5'3", but a little respect would be appreciated.

No comments: