The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Across the Universe

Besides P.T. Anderson's "There Will Be Blood", there was no other movie I was more excited for this year than "Across the Universe". Using my all access pass, I went to see the movie in Boston today for free (don't worry, I'm seeing this movie again and I'll pay for it).

For Beatles fans like myself, I was a little concerned about this film. Any movie involving The Beatles is tough to pull off. Most fail miserably. I have to say that I loved this film and I fucking hate musicals. This film was a refreshing experience and at a little over two hours, I didn't really want it to end. The singing was good and the music did a great job moving the plot forward. Add onto it the visuals, I thought it was awesome. Especially some of the psychedlic songs such as "I am the Walrus" makes you want to smoke right in the theatre.

Taking away the music, I thought the plot was also very engaging. Then again, I love the 1960s, but still I enjoyed the story. The film somewhat reminded me of the mini series, "The '60s", from the 1990s, but was much better. It is a love story effected by Vietnam, peace, and music.

If you can look beyond just the music and singing, you have a film that is truly a magical mystery tour for Beatle fans and admirers. One that I highly recommend.

No comments: