The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Sunday, August 12, 2007

It Was 40 Years Ago Today

Well, it was 40 years ago on June 1st, but last night The Hollywood Bowl paid tribute to the greatest album of all time, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. They performed the whole album with the orchestra, Cheap Trick, Aimee Mann, Joan Osborne, and others.

The sound was good, but not great. My problem with it was that the crowd was not really that into the show. Most of the people there were not really diehard fans, but season ticket holders. This was a concert I actually considered getting high for, but weed was rare throughout the night. I did smell some and I think the person got busted because I saw one of the ushers going to talk to them.

I actually did see British Chris at the show (from the Amoeba show). I saw him from a distance, so I didn't get a chance to talk. The guy is easy to spot with his Sgt. Pepper jacket and pouch of tobacco since he rolls his own cigarettes.

I also couldn't help myself, but correct a bunch of stupid Beatles fans talking about Sgt. Pepper's. I know I just wrote something about this topic the other day, but I couldn't help myself. This lady is like Yellow Submarine is on Pepper. I turned around and told her it was on Revolver. Then, some other guy says that Yellow Submarine from probably from Pepper sessions and put on Revolver. I started to give up by then since Revolver came out in '66 and Pepper came out in '67. Then, the guy tells me how cool it is to be hear and listen to the Beatles music since they performed here in '68. The Beatles performed there in '64 and '65 and their last concert was August 29, 1966. I replied yeah and turned around, disgusted.

Still, the show was a fitting tribute and one a true Beatles fan admires. It just gives you another perspective to listen to their music.

No comments: