The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Tuesday, July 31, 2007

The Killer G's and The Rise of Boston Sports (Again!)

What a big day for Boston and New England! Two big trades were completed today and optimism is running high. People are so excited that I can hear them all the way in California. The last time a trade this big was made, it involved us giving away the star player (I'm talking about dealing Nomar in 2004). Yes, we won the World Series and it really was the middle of the best stretch in Boston sports during my lifetime (February 2004 to February 2005, produced two Super Bowls and one World Series).

After a two year absence, Boston is back. Kevin Garnett joins Paul Pierce and Ray Allen on a Celtic team that has a legit shot to compete for the title. Eric Gagne joins a Red Sox team that already has the best record in baseball. Honestly, anything less than a World Series would be very disappointing. Then, there is that team called the Patriots, who are the favorites to win another Super Bowl. It's like 1986 all over again and hopefully even better. That's three damn good teams. Two should have a very good shot at a championship and one could compete if they add a few more players.

There's so much excitement in Boston that I feel like moving back just so I can experience the excitement. Mayor Menino is clearly out the city's schedule since they're going to be parades almost every week. It's going to be a busy year for the duck boats.

One thing is for sure, I'll be going to the Celtics and Lakers game next year at the Staples Center. Give me a call if you want to join. I went back in 2005 and it was fun, but now with this team I just have to see it once in person. I really hope it works out for the Celtics because basically they gave away their whole future for a chance to win number 17. I would say they have about three years to pull off the miracle. The problem will be competing with the Western Conference. I still don't think they're that good. It's like Cleveland all over again. They will probably get swept.

Then again, I guess that's why we play the games. So, let's start playing them. Can basketball and football season start soon enough?

No comments: