The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Goin' South

So here I am, the night before I leave for Mississippi. I got a lot of mixed feelings going into this trip. I just hope I made the right decision because I've committed for the next two months. It was definitely crazy development how I even made it here. I would have laughed in anyone's face if they told me my first paying film job would be an assistant director/production manager for a documentary being shot in Mississippi. I never publicly announced it, but I "retired" from AD work after Emily's set.

That's what I'm afraid of to be honest. I don't want this to be like "Binding", which seemed like a good gig at the beginning, but went downhill really fast. The director/dp combo on that film was horrible. I'm sorry Em, but that was probably my least favorite set while I attended Chapman.

The best word in this whole situation for me is professional. Whether it is really better operated/organized than a student set, I don't know yet. All I know is that anything professional always sounds better than student/amateur. Add on top of that, the money, hotel, flight, and food and this SHOULD be a good set.

I know I've probably written this before, but sets are a huge gamble sometimes. Look at "The Movers". That movie sucked, but that set was awesome to work and I made a ton of friends. Then, look at say "Binding" or "Someone You Know", and you feel like killing yourself at the end of the day. I always loved Emily and Daniel's reason for going 15 hours that one day. Let me paraphrase, "At the end of the day they care about the movie and if it turns out good." I don't really agree with that since the majority of student films never even make dvds for the crew. Hell, some don't even get finished ("The Movers"). And I hate to break it to all the current film students out there, but companies don't give a shit if you were a key grip, craft services dude, dp, or director. It doesn't matter. Even both internships I had, they didn't care about any of that stuff.

I only list "Sweet Pea" on my resume now after realizing student sets hold no real value. Before, I had almost every film I ever worked on thinking it made me look "experienced". Although, I will put this gig on my resume. Why? It's professional, a feature (I think, but not confirmed), and I hold a position with some status. Plus, I am going to use it as a wild card in interviews. You see that is why I'm a genius. I'm already thinking about my next move. Honestly, did you really think I was just taking this for the money and the opportunity to fuck the shit out of some chick with a southern accent?

So, good luck to you and I'll see everyone down south, where I'm sure I'll have plenty to write about. Believe me, it's going to be what I call "No Holds Barred Blogging" or NHBB for short. So if you are sensitive to southerns or the south in general, you might get offended. Oh, no! We will finally find out what happens when a liberal, 60s loving, bad ass motherfucker invades the south!

No comments: