The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Thursday, June 21, 2007

The Sad State of Boston Sports

A couple years ago Boston was once again on top of the sports world. With three championships from February 2004 to February 2005, life was good to be a Boston sports fan. Now, a little over two years later, things could be much better. Even though, two organizations (Pats and Sox) are still damn good, the other two just simply stink. Actually, they suck and it hurts to write that. People fail to realize/remember that for the majority of time during the history of Boston sports those two stinky/sucky/shitty teams were "the teams". For those who have no idea what I'm talking about, it's the B's and Celts.

The Bruins were probably the most popular team in Boston in the 1970s and were damn good in the 30s and 40s. Hell, the 80s and early 90s they were even extremely popular. I know since my Dad had season tickets at the old Boston Garden. They even made the playoffs 29 straight years, which is the North American major sports record for consecutive playoff appearances. The Bruins were fun to watch and they had extremely likable players such as Orr, Esposito, Bucyk, O'Reilly, Neely, and Bourque to name just a few.

Unfortunately, in the late 1990s to present, they fail to even come up in conversation when talking about Boston sports. They are barely a shadow of their former selves. Why? Horrible management and losing. Hockey is a great sport to watch, yet no one cares to go to the games and NHL ratings are down, period. It's sad, but the Bruins are nothing in Boston.

Today, they hired their third coach in the last year. And the last time they made the playoffs was before the lockout when they were upset in the first round. Claude Julien wants the players to be more gritty. Okay, but last time I checked that doesn't win every game. The Bruins need some fucking talent. I want to see them raise the Cup in my lifetime, yet they fail to realize you have to make moves to win. Their current crop of players is medoicre at best. Their captain is an overrated and oversized goofball defenseman. And their best offensive player would probably be unrecognizable if you met him on the street. I'm talking about Marc Savard in case you were wondering.

I realize Bobby Orr is not going to lace up ice skates and magically play again, but the Bruins brass needs to wake up and do something. Be a somebody again and stop blaming the coach. Last time I checked, the players are the ones who keep turning the puck over.

Now, onto that other team, the Celtics. A team that won 16 championships in 30 years. The greatest dynasty in the history of sports has reached a new low. I thought the Celtics were bad in the mid 90s right after Bird and McHale retired. I used to go to the games and the Boston Garden and later Fleet Center (renamed BankNorth Garden) was so empty that you could literally sit courtside since no one went to the games. Then, the Celts pretended to get good again for a short period of time around 2002 before stinking again.

I read today that Kevin Garnett refused a trade to the Celtics. Thank God because that's the last thing I wanted in Boston. Another loser who is frankly overrated. I'm sick of everyone sucking the dick of these high school phemons and praising how good they are. Besides maybe Kobe and LeBron, what has any of them done besides score 50 points maybe. Where is their championships? All I see is endorsement deals and useless individual trophies. Do you think Bill Russell or Larry Bird gave a shit about the MVP trophy? I don't think so. They cared about the world championship. They cared about being the best. That's what was so good about the Celtics under Red from the 50s through 80s. They cared about winning as a team.

Then, there is this guy like Garnett or KG if you want to sound cool, who some people probably think will save the team and help them win it all. Give me a break. Garnett is a bum and would never be a Celtic, so I'm glad he rejected the trade. I don't want him wearing Celtic green. Let someone else have him. Any player that is getting forced off a team is not one I want on mine. Plus, is he really worth Al Jefferson, Wally, Theo, Telfair, and the number five pick. Okay, I don't like Wally, Theo, and Telfair, but I would hate to get rid of Jefferson and the number five. Not worth it.

The biggest problem with the Celts is that they are really helpless right now. They're in no man's land. Even with a good draft pick, they still stink. Maybe they'll make the playoffs, but they can't compete for the title. Who do I blame for all this? Rick Pitino. I'm kidding, somewhat.

Basically, after writing this sad and mad piece of writing, I have come to the conclusion that you pretty much have to have the lowest possible expectations for the Bruins and Celtics. If not, they you will be disappointed. They're both going nowhere anytime soon. Sad, sad, sad...

No comments: