The ONLY Oscar Blogger, who lives in walking distance to the Kodak Theater!

Thursday, June 28, 2007

The Greatest Story Ever Told: Part II

Here is the second and final part of my adventure for Paul McCartney tickets at Amoeba. Enjoy...

11:27 a.m.: Julian drops me off at Amoeba for round two. A lot of people are already here. There is also a ton of people across the street who didn't get cards yesterday. Suckers. If I didn't like Paul that much I could easily sell my card for a couple hundred bucks. There is also a huge McCartney chair banner on the side of the building. It should be a very long and interesting day.

11:46 a.m.: More people are here. There's a couple media trucks. They also keep moving us in an attempt to keep everyone in a single file. It's getting a little crazy.

11:57 a.m.: They moved us again. Make up your damn minds. Also, the Mexican group parked right in front of me. Someone needs to tell them Paul is playing, not some rap bullshit.

12:02 p.m.: Some kids walk past me with Paul McCartney at Amoeba posters. They tell me I have to buy the album to get one. That's bullshit.

12:30 p.m.: Alright, let's start handing out some bracelets.

12:31 p.m.: If I wasn't afraid of getting shot, I would attempt to strangle the Mexicans. Turn off the fucking rap. At least Sadrac (my neighbor) is playing some Beatles music on his little amp.

1:00 p.m.: Yes, I got my bracelet.

1:08 p.m.: I bought Memory Almost Full again, so I could get a really cool poster. I had to do it. Everything else was free, so what the fuck.

1:22 p.m.: I start talking to this Greenpeace girl about "I Saved the World from Global Warming." It's a bad pickup line, but kinda worked. She told me I should bring the film into the offices.

1:25 p.m.: The crazy British guy starts rambling to some camera man about The Beatles. You gotta love it.

1:40 p.m.: Amoeba keeps moving us, up and down the line. It's getting crazy over here. TV and radio trucks are here. Where did the Mexicans go? Maybe someone caught them smoking and drinking in public.

2:00 p.m.: 4 1/2 hours til the doors open. I think I'm going to get something to eat. I'm getting hungry.

2:05 p.m.: Apparently, you can leave as long as your neighbors are nice. I'm not worried since with Arline, Trini, and Krissy to my left and Sadrac to my right. They've been a lot of fun and I've enjoyed their company.

2:27 p.m.: "Dance Tonight" hits the K-Earth truck and the British guy starts dancing like crazy. He's even dancing with one of the Greenpeace girls.

2:40 p.m.: I just found out the British guy's name is Chris. Also met some other people such as Megan and Linda (daughter and mom)

2:55 p.m.: I got something to eat at Jack in the Box. Yum, sirloin burger.

3:25 p.m.: I wish K-Earth would stop playing Memory Almost Full. It's a bit of overkill.

3:45 p.m.: Chris gets interviewed again, which is really funny since he makes up some story about Sgt. Pepper.

3:51 p.m.: Sirens are going off and for some reason everyone thinks they are for Paul. Chris proceeds to say the line of the journey, "I thought sex was great. This is the best orgasm I've ever had." Classic.

4:24 p.m.: I found out the Mexicans sold their tickets. No comment.

4:28 p.m.: I peaked through the window of Amoeba. They are getting set up with equipment.

4:45 p.m.: Some lady hands out "Gratitude for Paul" posters for the encore. This is the fourth time, they've played the entire Memory Almost Full album. Unfortunately, I'm getting sick of it. I just met Michael aka Paul McMichael aka WannaBeatle on Myspace. He tells us about his band, Apple Scruffs and tells us the story of him meeting Paul. I jokingly take a picture with him.

4:53 p.m.: Some girl hands me a handout for Nick Drake. Then, she looks at me and says, "Congratulations on the bracelet." Thanks. The VIP line is slowly forming in front of Amoeba.

5:10 p.m.: News goes live in front of Amoeba.

5:30 p.m.: Paul is inside Amoeba and doing a sound check by performing "Coming Up" with his band. Less than an hour until doors open.

5:35 p.m.: Some guy tries to buy my bracelet from me. I told him to go fuck himself.

5:55 p.m.: Amoeba tells us to move closer to the building. They're not going by numbers, so things are getting a little dicey.

6:06 p.m.: We start moving down the line. We're getting closer.

6:20 p.m.: The news interviewed Chris. This guy is just enjoying life. I think he's given around five interviews. Everyone keeps asking me what I'm writing. Yes, I write a blog.

6:30 p.m.: Let us in!

6:45 p.m.: We haven't moved again. I start talking to some guy who knows an Amoeba employee. He said the employees were allowed to watch the sound check. He also said names like Spielberg and Ringo are on the VIP guest list.

6:58 p.m.: Start moving. Yeah!

7:10 p.m.: I'm inside. They gave us free t-shirts and I'm standing in one of the middle CD racks. Unfortunately, I lost some of the core group (Chris, Megan, and Linda), but the view is great. I would say I'm roughly 25-30 feet from the stage. Right behind me is the album, Lennon Legend. I'm standing right in front of the John Lennon section. Amazing coincidence.

7:15 p.m.: They are standing people really loose. I figured that I would be crammed, but that is not the case. It's nice since I have the ability to move around and get a better view. They're tons of cameras and everyone is clapping when people come inside. Damn, I could have got some nice pictures.

7:25 p.m.: A live auction starts with McCartney merchandise. The guy says McCartney is mysteriously in the building.

7:32 p.m.: Some guy buys the merchandise for $2600. Crazy.

7:33 p.m.: It's very close. People are clapping. "Let Em In" is playing.

7:40 p.m.: Someone says Ringo's wife is here. Where the fuck is Ringo? Who cares about Barbara Bach?

7:45 p.m.: They're still letting people in. Still waiting...

7:56 p.m.: I feel like I'm going to pass out if Paul doesn't come out soon.

8:05 p.m.: No fucking lie, Ringo is less than 10 feet from me right now. Jeff Lynne and Joe Walsh are also in the next row right in front of me.

8:09 p.m.: Paul starts the show with "Drive My Car".

8:11 p.m.: "Mama Only Knows". Ringo, can you move your fucking head? You're in my way. Haha.

8:15 p.m.: Paul calls this his most surreal gig ever. "Dance Tonight" plays as everyone claps.

8:19 p.m.: "C Moon" is next. Interesting choice. Never heard this live.

8:24 p.m.: "The Long and Winding Road". Being sandwiched by Ringo and the CD rack of Lennon, I'm honestly speechless and trying to hold back the tears as I write.

8:26 p.m.: Paul takes a moment to take this moment in. "Follow the Sun".

8:30 p.m.: Paul gives a couple false endings for "Follow the Sun" before "Calico Skies". Another interesting choice and one I've never heard live.

8:35 p.m.: "That was Me". People are taking pictures here. It's kinda stupid since they said they weren't allowed. Still not worth busting out and testing my luck.

8:39 p.m.: Paul talks about "Village of the Damned". Makes the audience make faces. "Blackbird" next. The guy standing in front of me, let's me get closer. I have a much better view now. I'm probably roughly six feet from Ringo.

8:41 p.m.: Paul getting a little crazy and talks about being silly. Makes the audience repeat gibberish to his delight. He fondly remembers John, George, and Linda. "Here Today".

8:46 p.m.: Paul says it's okay to cry. "Back in the USSR".

8:50 p.m.: Paul talks about people not being able to correctly nod their heads together. "Nod your Head".

8:51 p.m.: My head hurts...

8:52 p.m.: I'm pretty damn confident that Woody Harreslon is four feet in front of me. This is ridiculous. "House of Wax".

8:57 p.m.: Paul tells short story about "She Loves You" to the crowd. I've heard it before, but quickly. His Dad thought it should be "yes, yes" rather than "yeah, yeah". He actually told someone to shut up after she yelled that he told it before. "I've Got a Feeling". Oh Yeah.

8:59 p.m.: Olivia Harrison is right in front of me. Six feet away. I've got a feeling I'm in heaven. I think John's going to come out and start jamming. Nothing is impossible tonight.

9:04 p.m. Paul plays "Matchbox" next. The third interesting choice of the night. Another rare one.

9:07 p.m.: "Get Back" is next. I need some California grass to believe this. I think Alanis Morisette is right in front of me. Yeah, that's her. Four feet away. She did play God, so it makes sense. Are Woody and her an item?

9:12 p.m.: Paul does his "Baby Face" tease. "Hey Jude" time.

9:15 p.m.: Ringo has just left. I'm not even going to say anything. Although, tonight has been full of surprises, there is absolutely no way that he is going to play with Paul tonight.

9:20 p.m.: That's it for the show. This place is going crazy.

9:23 p.m.: He's back for the encore. "Let it Be".

9:27 p.m.: No one wants to leave. "Lady Madonna".

9:31 p.m.: Paul teases Ringo. Probably not going to happen tonight. "I Saw her Standing There".

9:35 p.m.: Unbelievable. This place is going crazy, but everyone is being forced to leave. This one is going in the record books.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
What really can be said? Paul called this night surreal and that's exactly what it was. I never thought this would be so great and memorable. It's a once in a lifetime moment and I'm never going to forget it. This show was the best I've ever seen. Everything about it was unique and special.

On Monday night, I made this decision to camp out either late Monday/Tuesday (1-2 a.m.) or early Tuesday (6-7 a.m.). And it really paid off. Yeah, the waiting was long, but it was fun. I met some really cool people and we shared a common love of The Beatles, save for the Mexican group.

Another great thing about the show was the simple fact that not that many people got to see it. I've been hearing different reports and I'm not sure of the exact number other than it was less than 1000 people. That makes it special right away. Then, you have Ringo Starr, Barbara Bach, Olivia Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Joe Walsh, Alanis Morisette, Woody Harrelson, Jennifer Love-Hewitt (Apparently, she had to wait in line and was not a VIP), Rosanna Arquette (She was actually also in front of me, but I failed to recognize her), and Rick Rubin to round of the celebrities I saw/heard were present.

I was number 162 and the cool thing was I had a great view and was literally standing in the row behind the VIPs. I probably could have touched Woody or Alanis if I wanted, but would have got tossed in the process. I still can't believe everything worked out the way it did. To watch Ringo react to some of that Beatles' music was unique. I was in the same building as two members of The Beatles. That's pretty damn good.

I'm not trying to brag or be a jerk, but if are a Beatle fan living in southern California and missed this show, I feel bad for you. Unless you can get Paul to play a private concert in your backyard, you lost your chance at something special. Hell, even if you can do that, you probably still won't replicate the magic in that Amoeba Music store.

I jokingly said late Monday/early Tuesday that this was my greatest story ever and my moment to be a legend. I think I might have been right. It doesn't get any better than last night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for a great review...Too bad I couldn't be there.

Btw. I'm an Alanis fan too...Was she really with Woody? Isn't he married..hmm